Menu

MUS users what would you do?....

Pat in MI

Continue with MUS or drop it after Delta and move to Life of Fred? What would ds miss by not completing Epsilon and Zeta? The reason I am contemplating this is, ds is entering 7th grade and I am trying to speed up his math. He is leaning towards public school for 9th grade and here they do algebra in 9th. He would only be to pre-algebra if I stay on regular course with MUS. Or do you think I could have him do both programs and just speed up MUS? I really like the looks of Life of Fred, but he has done well with MUS. So confused. Anyone ever dropped MUS after Delta and moved on? How did it go for your students? What would you do??:confused:

Blessings,

Pat

If he's doing well with mus I would not switch. You could very easily pick up the pace of mus. If he completes 2 worksheets a day, 5 days a week, he could very easily fit epsilon, zeta and pre algebra into 2 years with plenty of wiggle room for slowing down at any trouble spots. Jm2c,

I just switched my dd from Singapore to MUS...she is newly 11, would be entering 6th if she was in school, but after talking with the MUS rep at convention, I placed her in Gamma.

She does know most of the material in Gamma, just not 100% solid, and she doesn't know multi-digit multiplication at all.

All that to say...

On the advice of the MUS rep and my friend who uses MUS, I am having her do one practice page, and one systematic review page. If she breezes through both of those, she takes the test, all in one day. Then she moves to the next lesson. When she reaches new concepts, she will slow down and do more of the practice and review pages, but I expect that she will get through both Gamma and Delta this year doing this.

Continue with MUS or drop it after Delta and move to Life of Fred?

This is exactly what I am planning for my youngest. I already use the LOF books with my oldest, and as soon as we finish Gamma and Delta, I will be using LOF with youngest. It does the job of teaching them the "why's" of math, and how to actually use it just as well as MUS, but is a lot cheaper and more interesting, without so much drill for those who don't need it.

Any regrets in switching from MUS? Does Life of Fred present things well enough? I am leaning towards just going with Life of Fred, but having a hard time giving up MUS, yet I'm not sure how well my ds would handle doing both. Ugh. Thanks for your answers.

blessings,

Pat

Any regrets in switching from MUS? Does Life of Fred present things well enough? I am leaning towards just going with Life of Fred, but having a hard time giving up MUS, yet I'm not sure how well my ds would handle doing both. Ugh. Thanks for your answers.

blessings,

Pat

Hi Pat. Actually, I never used MUS with my oldest. We used Saxon, and while she breezed through it, there came a point when starting pre-algebra, that I realized she didn't know a thing about actually *using* the math she had learned. She only knew how to plug numbers into formulas and get the right answer.

I started her at the beginning of LOF, and she had gone through the first book in a couple months and started on the second. I'm doing them for review. She actually understands how to use the math to solve real problems now. She does it independently, and we find it to be presented really well.

I have already bought the first algebra book, along with the home companion, and I can already see that it will be plenty for us.

I use MUS for my youngest, and we do like it, but I find that LOF is just as good at presenting things in a way that you understand the "why" behind the math, and as I said elsewhere, it is a lot cheaper. :)

I may try Life of Fred this summer with ds and move to Epsilon in the fall. That was a very good idea. I have decided that I would like him to finish those last two levels of MUS. Thanks again for your thoughts and help in my dilemma.

Blessings,

Pat