Menu

Has anyone done a listing of GB's to coordinate with SWB's HOTAW?

I'm looking to read aloud from Susan Wise Bauer's text

History of the Ancient World and attempt to add the great books recommended in WTM rhetoric level.

Has anyone coordinated the two? It's not too tough to do myself, just wondering if there's one out there.

The following is my plan for next year. I am actually weaving Bible history into this as well, using the Catholic Ancient History book "Foundation of Christendom by Carroll, recommended by Laura Berquist, which has a great, academic perspective of not only Bible History but the persecution of the Early Church under the Roman emperors and the life of the Church until Constantine, where we will end the Ancient period. If anyone is interested in my full plan that includes the Bible History part, PM me and I'll email you the Word document. Bible History, then will count for one credit, Lit will be part of "English 10" for my son, for one credit, and History will be the SWB textbook plus some additional reading, summaries, and a paper on a major character covered this year. It's been a long time since I scheduled this thoroughly and I don't have any idea how the timing will run with the literature, if it will move too quickly or too slowly. I also might rethink the Plutarch Lives after I read them more carefully, and go with some other source to flesh out some of those characters.

I don't know what I'll do with my 8th grader. I can't decide whether to let him follow the following schedule with his 10th grade brother, or let him relax with "Famous Men of Greece and Rome" with his 6th grade brother. I will probably opt for "Famous Men," and let him do some of the reading below to beef it up a bit.

Week 1 Ch. 1-5, Epic of Gilgamesh

Week 2 Ch. 6-10 Gilgamesh (and Genesis)

Week 3 Ch. 11-15 Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Literature, chapter on Genesis

Week 4 Ch. 16-20 Greenleaf - Chapter on Gilgamesh

Week 5 Ch. 21-24, Code of Hammurabi, Greenleaf – Genesis and Gilgamesh comparison chapter

Week 6 Ch. 25-29 Bullfinch’s Mythology selections

Week 7 Ch. 30-34 Bullfinch’s Mythology selections

Week 8 Ch. 35-36 Till We Have Faces

Week 9 Ch. 37-39, Hittite Warrior, Till We Have Faces

Week 10 Hittite Warrior, Till We Have Faces

Week 11 Ch. 40, Thucydides, Tao te Ching, I Ching

Week 12 Herodotus, Book 6-8; Confucius

Week 13 Ch. 41-45 Livy

Week 14 Ch. 46-49, Livy

Week 15 Livy

Week 16 Ch. 50-54 Plutarch "Romulus"

Week 17 Ch. 55-57 Lord Byron – “The Destruction of Sennacheribâ€

Week 18 Plutarch, "Lycurgus"; Polybius, Rise of Roman Empire

Week 19 Polybius, Plutarch "Solon"

Week 20 Ch. 58-60 Josephus Antiquities selections

Week 21 Ch. 61-64 Plutarch, "Themostocles," "Pericles"

Aeschylus, “The Persiansâ€

Week 22 Ch. 65-66 Sophocles, (something, maybe just an overview... I can't remember what my intent was here?)

Week 23 Ch. 67-69, (Plutarch “Artaxerxes" maybe) Trial and Death of Socrates

Week 24 Young Carthaginians, Henty, Trial and Death of Socrates

Alexander the Great biography ??

Week 25 Ch. 70 Alexander the Great, Maccabees

Week 26 Ch. 71-74 Hannibal’s Speech From Worlds Greatest Speeches

Week 27 Ch. 75-77, Cicero “On the Commonwealth" Polybius selections, (Plutarch, "Marcus Cato" maybe)

Week 28 Cicero

Week 29 Ch. 78 Julius Caesar - Shakespeare

Week 30 Ch. 79-81 Plutarch – "Caesar," Antony and Cleopatra - Shakespeare

Week 31 Ch. 82-85 Virgil – Aenid "On the Incarnation," Athanasius

Week 32 Aenid

Week 33 Aenid

34 (from here I will switch to another history book for the remainder of the school year if we need more material. I will probably use the very balanced History of the Catholic Church by Bokenkotter to reinforce the period between 1-400 AD from a Christian perspective. For literature we will do odds and ends... Antigone

35 Antigone

36 Pygmalion

37 Pygmalion

38 My Fair Lady (with the movie, of course!)

39 Memorabilia by Xenophon

40 Memorabilia