Menu

Is it crazy to start a 3rd grader on Saxon (Hake) grammar 5?

My oldest son is finishing up Saxon (Hake) Grammar 5 this year and he's gotten very good at grammar because of it. The next child in line is going into 3rd grade this coming year and his grasp of grammar is lacking (lazy about capitalization, punctuation, just now learning about nouns, verbs, etc) since I have tried several curricula that don't either click with him or me (FLL, Shurley, various workbooks). He is smart but needs repetition for certain things. I think he really needs the tight spiral of Saxon. Am I nuts to try doing level five slowly? I don't think I could have him do all the problems in each exercise which sort of defeats the purpose of the tight spiral. Maybe I should continue lightly learning grammar with him and when he is older give it a whirl?

Advance thanks for any sage advice!

Could you take it half pace? You don't have to finish it in a year. That way, you could still do all the problems, but you'd be splitting the lessons up so he's doing less in one sitting.

I haven't used Hake myself though. I'm sure my rising 3rd grader could do it, but he doesn't struggle with grammar at all. We're using KISS Grammar, and that has made it really stick for him. He can't just follow the pattern. He actually has to learn what the part of speech is and how to find it. ;)

Could you take it half pace? You don't have to finish it in a year. That way, you could still do all the problems, but you'd be splitting the lessons up so he's doing less in one sitting.

I haven't used Hake myself though. I'm sure my rising 3rd grader could do it, but he doesn't struggle with grammar at all. We're using KISS Grammar, and that has made it really stick for him. He can't just follow the pattern. He actually has to learn what the part of speech is and how to find it. ;)

I assumed I would have to go half pace, but do you think it messes up the tight spiral? I tried KISS with my oldest and dropped it because I got confused (his terminology is not what I'm used to and I felt it was very difficult). Maybe I will look at KISS again, but this kid is easily broken when things are too hard at first. I will start to do more research soon so I can make a decision...

Thanks!

I know nothing about Saxon Grammar, but I did do Saxon Math 2 with my kindergartener because it is what I had and I did not want to buy anything new. (She was definitely my last). We just did it over two years. She is now going into 7th grade and it did not seem to hurt her. I think the spiral will be fine. I did do the remaining years of Saxon math at a normal pace.

HTH,

Linda

I assumed I would have to go half pace, but do you think it messes up the tight spiral? I tried KISS with my oldest and dropped it because I got confused (his terminology is not what I'm used to and I felt it was very difficult). Maybe I will look at KISS again, but this kid is easily broken when things are too hard at first. I will start to do more research soon so I can make a decision...

Sounds like KISS wouldn't be a good option then.

Maybe that Hake 4 will be released in time?

Please tell me more about this program. I just looked over the samples on amazon and I didn't see any grammar. It looks like a nifty writing program (if I weren't already using IEW) though.