Menu

WWYD? Grade for co-op PE/Health...

...that had no teacher for more than 1/2 the school year? :(

The teacher dropped out of co-op midyear and no one officially replaced her. Very little of the textbook was completed and my ds 14 pretty much played "ultimate frisbee" for the rest of the co-op.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what "grade" I should put on his transcript? :confused: At first I thought I'd put a "pass/fail" type grade ("pass" of course), but I think a letter grade would work out better for the credit and GPA calculations.

I just found two chapter tests and the scores he received were 94% and 88%.

What would YOU do?

Edited by Vanna
to add in test scores

eta: What would I do? Since there was no teacher for most of the class and only two chapters of the book were completed, I would go with pass or fail, thus Pass.

:iagree:

Even if there had been a teacher and the textbook had been completed, I would still go with pass/fail. I agree with regentrude that something feels strange to me about weighting P.E. the same as something like Precalculus or Chemistry.

Since you want the letter grade, then I would determine his grade based on partly the tests and his participation. Something like this:

For example:

Each test is worth 100 points for a total of 50% of his grade.

94+88=182/200=91

The rest of the 50% of the grade would be made up of participation, say 1 point for attending and participating in each class.

So, if the class met once a week for 36 weeks, then there would be a total of 36 points. If he attended and participated in all the classes, then he got 36/36=1

1+.91=1.91/2=95.5%

If you really want/need a grade, I'd probably go with this approach.

I spent a few days last week coming up with grades for some of my son's classes. (It's been a less-than-organized year.) And some of them don't lend themselves to a nice, neat grading scheme.

I wanted to give him credit for choir, for example. So, I looked up some syllabi online for high school choir courses and checked how they grade. I also talked to my daughter about how grades were assigned for her college choir. And I decided to grade mostly on participation, with a few points thrown in for some field trips we did during the year and the discussions we had following those.

It ended up looking like this:

35 Regular Rehearsals (1 pt. each) = 31 (because he missed four rehearsals during the year)

6 Saturday Rehearsals (2 pts. each) = 12

16 Concerts and Services (3 pts. each) = 42 (because he missed a few of those)

2 Additional Events (3 pts. each) = 6

Total points available = 101

Points earned = 91

Average = 90%

...that had no teacher for more than 1/2 the school year? :(

The teacher dropped out of co-op midyear and no one officially replaced her. Very little of the textbook was completed and my ds 14 pretty much played "ultimate frisbee" for the rest of the co-op.

So, now I'm trying to figure out what "grade" I should put on his transcript? :confused: At first I thought I'd put a "pass/fail" type grade ("pass" of course), but I think a letter grade would work out better for the credit and GPA calculations.

I just found two chapter tests and the scores he received were 94% and 88%.

What would YOU do?

If the student met only once a week and did no homework (which I assume since the textbook wasn't completed), then this wouldn't earn a credit at all at my house. It could be part of a credit.

Julie

I couldn't assign a grade if they only covered 2 chapters of the book and basically played for a class period. I would have him finish the textbook and then award him a 1/2 credit for the textbook portion. I would have him do a semester of formal PE next year to make up for the fact that they just played ultimate frisbee this year.

I'd start over and do the health class at home and assign a grade and 0.5 credits based on that.

For P.E., we require 150 hours of physical activity to get 1 credit. I agree with others that I'd LIKE to give a "pass" for P.E. but my umbrella school requires assignment of A to F grades.

Pegasus

Thank you all for your responses (and a "special thank you" to those who took the time to type out grade calculations :grouphug:).

eta: What would I do? Since there was no teacher for most of the class and only two chapters of the book were completed, I would go with pass or fail, thus Pass.

I do not assign a letter grade for PE, only for academic core classes.

(The idea of averaging the calculus and PE grades in a GPA calculation somehow seems strange to me)

I assign a grade of P (pass, participate) for courses like that.

:iagree:

Even if there had been a teacher and the textbook had been completed, I would still go with pass/fail. I agree with regentrude that something feels strange to me about weighting P.E. the same as something like Precalculus or Chemistry.

Regentrude and Superdad, you both raised a point I had not thought of and weighed heavy on my mind after I read the email digest of this thread last night. I'm definitely going with the "pass" as the grade for this class. Thank you again! :D