Menu

Gift help please! "Going to College Survival Kit"

My dd will be going to college soon and I wanted to make a "going to college survival kit" for her (is that a dorky name?) We don't have a lot of cash flow right now so I am trying to be creative and festive with what I have or with what can be gotten cheaply.

Please help me think of creative, fun, goofy, "we love you" ideas!

About her: She will be majoring in International Missions or Christian Apologetics. She is a TOTAL sanguine. She has traveled internationally and knows a couple of languages. She is a bibliophile. She signs. She loves chocolate. She is into gourmet drinks that are decaf.

Any help at all, including how to package things, what to include, etc. etc. She'll be 16 hours from home so we may not see her until next spring. Her 8 yo bro is especially distraught at her leaving.

TIA!!

My dd will be going to college soon and I wanted to make a "going to college survival kit" for her (is that a dorky name?) We don't have a lot of cash flow right now so I am trying to be creative and festive with what I have or with what can be gotten cheaply.

Please help me think of creative, fun, goofy, "we love you" ideas!

About her: She will be majoring in International Missions or Christian Apologetics. She is a TOTAL sanguine. She has traveled internationally and knows a couple of languages. She is a bibliophile. She signs. She loves chocolate. She is into gourmet drinks that are decaf.

Any help at all, including how to package things, what to include, etc. etc. She'll be 16 hours from home so we may not see her until next spring. Her 8 yo bro is especially distraught at her leaving.

TIA!!

I would definitely include lots of quarters for laundry (and maybe a little stain kit or something like that) and self-adressed notes to you and her brother. I would also include something from home that would be familiar and comfortable for her, that would make her smile when she sees it.

A roll of quarters for laundry.

A roll of stamps.

A small sewing kit.

Chocolates.

A prepaid calling card (unless she's all cell phoned up, this may be out of date!)

Some nice hand lotion.

Some basic office supplies - stapler/staples, paper clips, glue stick, etc.

I'll post again if I think of more!

I don't know if they say "I love you" though.

Laundry supplies - detergent, softener, quarters (!), laundry bag

small sewing kit, maybe even one with prethreaded needles.

Gift card for the bookstore to buy that first t-shirt/sweatshirt

gift care for local fast food, grocery store, walmart/target/kmart

wow! I googled "College Survival kit" and got a bunch of hits. Here are a few:

http://www.budget101.com/recipes/sk18.htm (this one looks like the most fun!)

http://www.msandmrs.com/college.php# (you can buy this one at Target)

http://www.ehow.com/how_2057427_make-college-survival-kit.html

http://www.gocollege.com/survival/kits.html

http://www.progressiveu.org/190308-college-survival-kit

HTH

I don't know if they say "I love you" though.

Laundry supplies - detergent, softener, quarters (!), laundry bag

small sewing kit, maybe even one with prethreaded needles.

Gift card for the bookstore to buy that first t-shirt/sweatshirt

gift care for local fast food, grocery store, walmart/target/kmart

HTH

LOL! I was going to post the same ideas! I have done some in a laundry basket for the container and filled with things they might need. Towels, wash clothes, detergent, quarters, ruck sack, just anything! They are very much appreciated.

I have also done desk supplies as a theme too.

Just have fun with it! And little treats to make her feel special sound like a great idea too.

All of the above...and a nice framed photo of the family! Or perhaps a little photo album filled with photos of the family...of the pets...the house, inside and out...meaningful places around your town...things that will make her smile when she's feeling a bit homesick...:001_smile:

If she takes any vitamins or other items to maintain her health I would include those. Ds just called from camp last week and asked me to send a multi-vitamin and protein powder.

A nice mug for coffee, small toiletry items that she uses, a small stuffed bear.