Menu

Any such resource could help ds with this issue?

Instead of using description words, my ds (almost 12), uses a lot of special effects in his writing assignments; ie: ...... (dots) , multiple exclamation marks, bolding, caps, large fonts etc. I am trying to teach him to use actual words to describe what all the CAPS...!!!! etc mean. He can be very resistive to anything new like this as he has mild HFautism. But if I could find a resource somewhere that has a page of suggestions for use of description instead of special effects it might help, ie:

the girl stopped ....... = the girl hesitated, or, she stopped and thought,

I HATE YOU = He shouted, "I hate you!"

I don't like it = she emphasised

there was the monster!!!!! = the monster was big and scary

Does such a resource exist out there?

Thank you

:001_smile:

I went to an IEW seminar, and they have a list of words that you should avoid and words that you can consider to use instead. I haven't actually used the program, but it seems to me that this would appeal to many on the autism spectrum due to its mechanical, technical approach. Perhaps someone else will chime in with more detail.

Thank you so much!

Actually, I got so desperate I wrote my own. I also emphasised to my son that abusing punctuation was fine texting, on facebook or emails, even forum posts. But not to use special effects in narration.

Punctuation Marks Rules

Ellipsis ... Use: in speech within quotation marks only

Use to express a speaker’s faltering, hesitating, fragmented speech due to emotion, ie surprise or uncertainty etc.

Do not use ellipsis in narration. Fill in the gaps with phrases such as:

instead of: ‘she walked up the steps and ...there was a hoo hoo sound...’ use: ‘She walked up the steps but, upon hearing a faint ghost noise, she faltered’.

instead of: ‘Suddenly he heard a noise ...’ use: ‘Suddenly he heard a noise. He hesitated.’

instead of: ‘The spaceship crash landed and ... silence’ use ‘the spaceship crash landed and, after all went quiet there was silence.’

instead of: ‘she stopped ... she looked ...’ use: ‘she looked ‘she paused for a second. She couldn’t believe what she saw.’

Exclamation Marks !!!!! Bolding or CAPSUse exclamations sparingly, only in speech to express strong emotion or high volume, but avoid in narration (which should be detached and analytical).

Instead of !!! use description:

instead of “she shouted!!” use ‘she shouted loudly’:

instead of “WOW!” use ‘he was stunned’,

instead of “a monster!!”the big scary monster roared’.

Quotation marks use only around actual speech. Do not use to express emphasis on a word, or to express alleged or so-called,

ie ‘the “lake” at North Lake had no water in it.” say: “the so-called lake at North Lake had no water in it.”