Menu

Latin for a creative, loves-to-read 9 year old?

tammyw

I've never even had a thought that Latin is something we should do, but a recent thread got me thinking maybe I should reconsider that decision.

My dd just turned nine a couple months ago. She loves to read, and is very artsy/creative. Any suggestions as to what to start looking at?

I know I am like a broken record, but truly, this is one of my favorite products ever: Getting Started With Latin. Gentle, but informative, humorous without being overly silly or cutesy (the humor is subtle, like the sentences translate to things like "we are poets but we never carry writing tablets," which appealed to my daughter, who doesn't do cutesy), and the book is inexpensive for the amount it actually covers ($18 or so on amazon, and I think about $10 for the Kindle version). Plus you can download the mp3s for free, which is helpful for pronunciation. Oh, and it can all be done orally, so no extra paper generated, and it appeals to the pencil-allergic. With the mp3s, it's even possible to do it in the car. We started it with DD when she was just over 9.

I seriously think GSWL is a wonder product. :)

Edited by happypamama

I know I am like a broken record, but truly, this is one of my favorite products ever: Getting Started With Latin. Gentle, but informative, humorous without being overly silly or cutesy (the humor is subtle, like the sentences translate to things like "we are poets but we never carry writing tablets," which appealed to my daughter, who doesn't do cutesy), and the book is inexpensive for the amount it actually covers ($18 or so on amazon, and I think about $10 for the Kindle version). Plus you can download the mp3s for free, which is helpful for pronunciation. Oh, and it can all be done orally, so no extra paper generated, and it appeals to the pencil-allergic. With the mp3s, it's even possible to do it in the car. We started it with DD when she was just over 9.

I seriously think GSWL is a wonder product. :)

Wow! Sounds like you love it. I will definitely check it out tonight. Thanks!

My son is nine and a little and loves to read. He loves Lively Latin. Latin is one of his favorite subjects. He isn't artsy/creative but he enjoys the artist/painting study/appreciation. Plus it includes some Roman history which is his favorite.