Menu

WP & Sonlight Together? Too Much?

Okay. I was so thrilled to finally decide between MFW, Sonlight, and WP. I had ordered MFW 1st, and while I think it's great, it's not for us. Fine. I had previously ordered Sonlight K from someone & thought I'd never get it, but decided to sell it when I did and JUST purchased WP Animals plus LA. I was sooo relieved. So, today the Sonlight box comes. The books look so great, I thought I'd just take a peek at the IG. Then I said "come on kids, lets do school!" So we did day 1. I, of course loved it! I really like the IG, and I have to say, I liked the Language Arts also. (LA 1). Anyway, now I'm torn. Both kids liked it, but dd who loves nature and crafts did say "are we going to do a craft now?" DS, is fine without crafts. ANYWAY, sorry for the babbling, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do both, or will I just make myself insane (not that I'm not already)? I know I can't do both LA, so I'll have to choose, but since Animals is science based?? Of course if we were rolling in $ it wouldn't be an issue, I'd keep both and not worry about it. What does everyone think?

By the way, dd is crafty and likes them, I am not and don't.frown.gif

If you don't put pressure on yourself to finish in 36 weeks, and if you can afford it, I think doing Animals and Their Worlds for your "science" would be an Okay thing to do. I know Heather/Siloam has done AW as her science while she was doing TOG and before that American Story 1, so it can be done. Just go easy on yourself, as it *will* be incredibly full. As far as the SL goes, you can always resell it for nearly the same price you paid at any point you decide you need to.

I think you can do both without too much problem. Some things will overlap, so you can streamline a bit. For example, I wouldn't do both AW and SL's full science at the same time. If you're going to do bible, choose just one. Some of the read-alouds might not be a hit with your family (there's always a few duds in any program) so just skip them.

It will be easier to combine if you're willing to wing it a bit instead of using the IG as its written.

We've done 3/4 of the SL K read-alouds and the Children's Encyclopedia just by reading a bit each day. I think we'll be done with Core K by September and then we'll start WP HIH with SL Science K. I'm planning to use elements of SL Core 1 to stretch out HIH, but that will be our main program.

Okay. I was so thrilled to finally decide between MFW, Sonlight, and WP. I had ordered MFW 1st, and while I think it's great, it's not for us. Fine. I had previously ordered Sonlight K from someone & thought I'd never get it, but decided to sell it when I did and JUST purchased WP Animals plus LA. I was sooo relieved. So, today the Sonlight box comes. The books look so great, I thought I'd just take a peek at the IG. Then I said "come on kids, lets do school!" So we did day 1. I, of course loved it! I really like the IG, and I have to say, I liked the Language Arts also. (LA 1). Anyway, now I'm torn. Both kids liked it, but dd who loves nature and crafts did say "are we going to do a craft now?" DS, is fine without crafts. ANYWAY, sorry for the babbling, but I'm wondering if there is a way to do both, or will I just make myself insane (not that I'm not already)? I know I can't do both LA, so I'll have to choose, but since Animals is science based?? Of course if we were rolling in $ it wouldn't be an issue, I'd keep both and not worry about it. What does everyone think?

By the way, dd is crafty and likes them, I am not and don't.frown.gif

Tammi,

Go for it! Enjoy both as long as you can let go of finishing on a 36 week schedule. :D If that is going to hang you up then it would probably be better to do one or the other.

As Jen said I did AS 1 and AW together, then I moved to TOG while we still finished up AW (which was just in March). It took us a little over a year to complete hsing year around. I still plan to use, at the very least, WP's Sky and Sea for science down the road, which will having me doing two full literature programs again. I suspect it could take us 1.5 to 2 years to complete. I am ok with that. :cool:

Heather

Coming from someone who just finished using SL's Core 4 and WP's American Story 2 together...I say go for it! I had NO problem using both programs...though we did not add in any crafts as my son doesn't care for crafty 'time wasters' (his words, not mine).

If you don't already have a science purchased, then I would use your SL K for history, and your WP for Science, then either send back one of the LA packages, or keep them both if you like them. It's only money right? :blink: :D

I know with our WP AS 2 we were able to do the whole weeks worth of history reading in about 2-3 days. You could POSSIBLY devote 3 days a week to SL and 2 to WP each week...or however best it works for you. I think it's possible. Just don't restrict yourself to having everything accomplished in 36 weeks...there's no rush at that age. ;)

Of course , I should warn you, this advice is coming from a terrible curriculum junkie. :w00t:

Have fun!

Since I like aspects of both WP & SL, and so will dd & ds, I am going to do both! And I am not going to beat myself up over trying to do everything, I'll just pick stuff out of both. For instance, I was reading about Martin Luther in Hero Tales today, and dd and ds were totally clueless! THAT is a little over their heads. So, fine, I skimmed. And I know I won't do all of the crafts. You should have seen me trying to show dd how to weave a little potholder today. Not a pretty sight.

I figure I'll see which LA is a better fit and just hold onto the other until next spring and sell whatever I don't use. And I am fine about HS yearround. I would prefer it. Kids get way to restless.

Thanks!

OH, I didn't do all the crafts in AW and I *wasn't* doing SL K at the same time. You're not supposed to do *all* the crafts. It's a buffet, pick your favorites or most appealing.:D

Yes! We did all the crafts in AS 1 and AW at first, per the girl's request. Took us two or more days to cover a WP day! luckily they did get over their craft obsession and we came up to regular speed after a couple of months.

I am not a craft person, so it was craft boot camp for me. :001_huh:

Heather