Menu

Xposted Kid Coder Computer Programming Course is really good!

Xposted on middle school board, but I thought it would be of interest to those in high school area as well if looking into Teen Coder.

I bought the Kid Coder computer programming (Homeschool Programming is the company name) for my son (8th grade) from HSBC last fall. We then decided to use HOD so his day was full so I didn't add the computer programming course to his workload. Instead I wanted him to use it as a "summer school" course. So he is several lessons into it now and I am very impressed with what he has already put together and programmed. I had no idea! He is currently doing the first semester "Windows Programming" but at the rate he is going, he will be done in the next week or so and then will go on to 2nd semester "Game Programming." Since he isn't bogged down with other subjects, he can sit and spend hours on this, which is how he is getting through it so quickly. I am definitely going to get the high school version for next summer so he can get so high school credits. Just wanted to put that plug out there if you are looking for a computer programming course!

Is your ds using the PDF instruction manuals? If so, did you print them out, or does he flip screens back & forth between the manuals and his programming exercises?

My dc wanted me to buy Kid Coder & Teen Coder, but HSBC was offering the PDF manuals, and I was wary of how that would work, and how much it would cost me to get the manuals printed out if I needed to do that. So I didn't buy... and now I'm wondering if I should have.

Is your ds using the PDF instruction manuals? If so, did you print them out, or does he flip screens back & forth between the manuals and his programming exercises?

My dc wanted me to buy Kid Coder & Teen Coder, but HSBC was offering the PDF manuals, and I was wary of how that would work, and how much it would cost me to get the manuals printed out if I needed to do that. So I didn't buy... and now I'm wondering if I should have.

We used the PDF version of Computer Science for Kids (also from HSBC) this year, and it really was a pain to use it. I finally put the manuals on my Nook and that helped, but still would not do it again.

For next year I purchased the books for Teen Coder and I think it will be much better!

DD is doing the Kid Coder program as an introduction to programming. She likes it so far so I plan to have her do the Teen Coder program so that I can give her a full credit.

We bought the books. I think it would be a pain to try to do it from PDF unless you were willing to print everything out. I thought it was expensive but figure that younger DD can use them too and it was the best intro programming course I was able to find that she could do on her own.

Pegasus

Thanks for the info. I bought the teen coder at the Cincy convention and we excited to use it in the fall.

:iagree: This is exactly what we're doing. I'm so glad to hear how good you think it is!

I looked at it last year in Cincy but didn't buy it. This year I bought it and my ds will do it and the Game Programming for a 9th grade elective.

He's looking forward to it.

Thanks.