Menu

BJU Math Elementary Math Users

Guest scampbell2003

Guest scampbell2003

How much of the TG do you follow? Do you do everything in the TG or only a cpl things? Any advice for making Math run smoothly day to day?

Thanks

Its been a very long time, but I do know I didn't do everything in the t/e. The reviewing concept part is helpful. I did try to do everything in the beginning, and had visions of doing the one grade for 2-3 years. There is too much. Its meant to pick and choose what you need.

Just work through the workbook and use the t/e as needed.

If I see something on the page that looks different than the way I learned to do math, I glance through the TM to see how the writers are presenting the lesson, then I just teach the lesson myself. Math is my thing, though, since I have a degree in it. ;)

I also look through the CD stuff at the beginning of each chapter. There are a few of the reteaching pages that I liked better than the actual lesson page. There are also some great ideas and enrichment lessons on there, too.

Guest scampbell2003

Okay my DD8 like the BJU Math. It just take a while gathering Manipulative for each day ect.....and then doing the lesson. I have 2 distracting boys as well. 6 and 18 months.:001_smile: We started using the Distance learning our 1st yr homeschooling for her 1st grade yr. She liked it but after a while it was a lot of tv sitting for a 6 yr old. IMO. So for second grade last yr we used Abeka and we both didn't really like it as much. So then I started looking at Singapore it seemed to be less teacher intensive if you just use the tb and wb. But I just can't decide. I also was planning on using the K SM Earlybird for my DS6 this fall. But I am wondering if it is enough. I just don't know. I like the BJ but I am wanting to eliminate wasting time. I don't have a degree and am fairly new to homeschooling. I would like to find what will work good for the kids and stick with it. Any advice and experience welcome! thank you!

Okay my DD8 like the BJU Math. It just take a while gathering Manipulative for each day ect.....and then doing the lesson. I have 2 distracting boys as well. 6 and 18 months.:001_smile: We started using the Distance learning our 1st yr homeschooling for her 1st grade yr. She liked it but after a while it was a lot of tv sitting for a 6 yr old. IMO. So for second grade last yr we used Abeka and we both didn't really like it as much. So then I started looking at Singapore it seemed to be less teacher intensive if you just use the tb and wb. But I just can't decide. I also was planning on using the K SM Earlybird for my DS6 this fall. But I am wondering if it is enough. I just don't know. I like the BJ but I am wanting to eliminate wasting time. I don't have a degree and am fairly new to homeschooling. I would like to find what will work good for the kids and stick with it. Any advice and experience welcome! thank you!

I think BJU Math is very solid and a great program. I agree that you should get a program and stick to it. It's the easiest way to avoid gaps because each program covers topics in a different order. They all get to Algebra 1 eventually, but some take the interstate and some take country roads.

As far as the lessons, I don't always use the manipulatives with every lesson, just if there's something totally brand new or I think he might understand a little better. You could try organizing manipulatives over the weekend in daily baggies, labeled Monday, Tuesday, etc. so you could reuse them each week. If math is the subject you feel your dd will need the most of your undivided attention, why not do her math during the 18 month old nap? Is you 6 year old boy reading any on his own, even easy reader type books? Maybe her math lesson time could be a time he is to stay in his room and read or at least look at books and play quietly.

Guest scampbell2003

Amy

That sounds like a great idea for her math time. He is starting to read. We are using the Reading Lesson and he is starting to balk about doing it.:001_huh: He says he can read by himself. He doesn't want to do the work reading requires of him. We just started this after he turned 6 a cpl weeks ago. Oh boy I hope he comes around:001_smile:

We are switching to bju this year from abeka(at least I think). I too was wondering how much of the teachers guide I would use. I haven't ordered the teachers guide yet since I have yet to find a used copy of the 3rd edition tg! It sure is expensive! DD will be doing 5th grade.

We are switching to bju this year from abeka(at least I think). I too was wondering how much of the teachers guide I would use. I haven't ordered the teachers guide yet since I have yet to find a used copy of the 3rd edition tg! It sure is expensive! DD will be doing 5th grade.

The CD is absolutely wonderful! It's also very nice to be able to quickly check answers instead of having to do the problems. I would think if you keep the CD in working order, you'd be able to resell it for a good price.