Menu

New to MCT where do I start?

If you've not done any appreciable grammar, I would start with Island level. If you call, they can give you some additional direction if you think you want it. IME, RFWP recommend starting an older child at Town, but if it is a new thing for you, Island really is helpful. JMO, etc.:001_smile:

I would start at Town level with that age of student. I started with Town with my dd9, and it was just right.

One caveat: the book Sentence Island is absolutely wonderful, so if you can spring for that, get just that book from the Island level and read it first. It really isn't a writing program, but it an absolutely lovely explanation of *why* we care about grammar, and how we use it to write good sentences.

I would start at Town level with that age of student. I started with Town with my dd9, and it was just right.

One caveat: the book Sentence Island is absolutely wonderful, so if you can spring for that, get just that book from the Island level and read it first. It really isn't a writing program, but it an absolutely lovely explanation of *why* we care about grammar, and how we use it to write good sentences.

:iagree: I'd start with Town but read Sentence Island first. Mud the fish was a huge hit with both my boys. And we refer to lessons from that book all the time.

:iagree: I'd start with Town but read Sentence Island first. Mud the fish was a huge hit with both my boys. And we refer to lessons from that book all the time.

I looked at Sentence Island as a "reader" for my rising 3rd grader - can you tell me what the teacher manual would be used for? I wasn't sure if MCT included lesson plans based on this book or if it was meant to be a nice addition to the rest of the curriculum. I think my ds would love this and I love the way it talks about sentences!