Menu

LOF Elementary - have you seen Goldfish on up?

ChrissySC

I agree with everyone else, start at the beginning. My dd9 started with Apples in November and we are finishing up Jelly Beans now. She adores it, and asked to start working on Fractions on her own as her independent math, which is exactly what the author intended - A through J as snuggly read-aloud, beginning independent work with Fractions.

But yes, if you want to start in at "3rd grade math" for a good review before starting Fractions, Goldfish would probably be a good place to jump in. Multiplication tables are introduced. In Honey, he has students make themselves flashcards and work on memorizing the multiplication tables - the full tables. They should be "finished" memorizing the tables by the end of Ice Cream.

I agree with everyone else, start at the beginning.

Just to be contrary, I'll disagree with everyone else. :D I ordered A-D for my 2nd and 4th graders, because I was told to start at the beginning. The three of us together worked through the first two books in a couple of days.

The kids were entertained and liked the storyline, but I thought it was too much money ($32) for a few hours of entertainment, so I returned that whole set. Even my average 2nd grader, doing Singapore 2A, could solve the problems quickly on her own paper. I'm open to the idea of ordering the higher levels, I'm just not sure where I would start. :001_huh: I'm considering Goldfish. The F one wasn't at the convention, so I couldn't see it in person.

I think the way he presents new topics is great, but I disagree with the advice that all kids should start with Apples. Apparently I'm the only person who feels this way. :tongue_smilie:

I took the author's advice and began my 9 year old with Apples. He says that if the child is not in 5th grade to begin with Apples. So even though my son was in his last month of 4th grade it was still recommended that he start with Apples. It's not a read-aloud here. He sits at the table and works the problems on paper just as if he were doing his regular math. If the child is a 5th or 6th grader it is recommended that he complete the last five books in the elementary series before starting Fractions. My 7th grader started LOF with Fractions. Both of them are flying through the books but I'm happy.

I suppose I was more worried about missing a portion of the narrative that dd would like versus how quickly she might run through the books. She has read on here that the story is entertaining and she loves math. Of course, this is the primary reason for even looking at LOF for me. I am quite statisfied with her work except for division, LOL. She needs to pratice with multi-stepped problems. Netiher here nor there - and totally off topic - I assume then Goldfish is a good starting point for end of fifth grade then? The previous texts may be too simple? Does the "story" need to start at Apples?

I vote for starting at the beginning. They are humorous and entertaining even to my rising 5th grader, and there are higher level concepts sprinkled throughout starting with the very first book.

:iagree: I think my oldest would have mutinied if I'd started him in any other book besides Apples. Now he's doing Decimals and Percents alongside Goldfish. Even though the math in the elementary series is easy for him and he was ready for Fractions earlier than I anticipated, he enjoyed the early books and learned some interesting things along the way. For me, it made sense to buy the whole series for my littles coming up.

I suppose I was more worried about missing a portion of the narrative that dd would like versus how quickly she might run through the books. She has read on here that the story is entertaining and she loves math. Of course, this is the primary reason for even looking at LOF for me. I am quite statisfied with her work except for division, LOL. She needs to pratice with multi-stepped problems. Netiher here nor there - and totally off topic - I assume then Goldfish is a good starting point for end of fifth grade then? The previous texts may be too simple? Does the "story" need to start at Apples?

Yes, the story does start in Apples. The story builds on itself through the elementary series. However, the plot line is pretty easy to infer so I don't think it would keep you from starting in a higher book. It would drive some crazy (like my oldest) to start in the middle.

Your dc sounds like mine. I am afraid to start her in the middle for fear of an uprising too. LOL

OK, that settles it - we will start with Apples for the sake of the story! It will serve to be good operational review as well. That never hurts, and it certainly will reinforce the idea of mastery in math.

Your dc sounds like mine. I am afraid to start her in the middle for fear of an uprising too. LOL

OK, that settles it - we will start with Apples for the sake of the story! It will serve to be good operational review as well. That never hurts, and it certainly will reinforce the idea of mastery in math.

The best thing it did for my ds8 is reinforce his love of math. He went from dreading another math lesson (even though it is easy for him) to doing 6 lessons of Singapore PM in his bed with a flashlight 2 nights ago. I think he needed a goofy factor in his day. That was worth every penny.