Menu

Planning for 2nd: grammar question

Laurie in VA

Good morning! I am planning for next yr. and would like some feedback. We will finish FLL this year and I planned to go to R&S-3, because that's what WTM suggests. I am (barely) aware that there are now a few other choices (FLL-3 and GWT-3 are the ones I have seen mentioned).

What program did/do you use, and why? Also, if you chose R&S-3 do you also use an additional writing program - and if you do, why?

Thanks so much for any feedback!

I wish I would have looked at Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl, updated and revised by Lingua Mater (Hillside Education)

It is the gentle approach that I wanted from FLL with all the elements of FLL plus more. It's taken me a while to find a solution, we used FLL 1 in 1st and dd loved it but this year FLL 2 has been tired, boring and tedious for me. I was just following WTM suggestions too although I knew I wanted something different, you know that gut feeling?

So I tried doing grammar through copywork informally. That worked fine and I used FLL's audio cd for memorization. But then I realized dd needed a visual element and practice. In comes Mailbox's Grammar, Mechanics and Usage Grades 1-2 workbook. This has been great for dd, she's actually understanding where and why to put commas and getting the practice she needs.

Because we want to use Junior Analytical Grammar in 4th I don't really feel the need for formal grammar outside of learning how to write correctly. So I kept looking, not sure what in the world I was looking for. That led me to Primary Language Lessons by Emma Serl which I compared to Queen Homeschool's Language Lessons and I found the Lingua Mater verson of PLL by accident.

That's where we are now. I'm waiting for PLL to arrive in the mail but I feel this will be the answer to the missing link I've been feeling. Maybe it was guilt over not finishing FLL but I really want to make sure I'm giving dd what she needs for years to come but gently.

Truly I have a general idea of what we'll be doing but I'm taking it one skill at a time right now.

for my soon to be 3rd grader we'll be trying R&S 3 b/c I already have it. Ds9 didn't do well with R&S, but ds8 is a much different kid. IF he balks at the textbook approach, we'll go to GWG b/c I really, really like that program. R&S 3 doesn't have a ton or writing from what I can see (mainly toward the end). I didn't really like the writing lessons in R&S5 (my dd uses that) so we supplement and skip the lessons in R&S that I don't like :) She uses Anc. Hist. Based WRiting Lessons. For 3rd grade...I'm not planning on doing a formal program except narrations, dictation, story and letter writing.

My accelerated learner did no grammar for first grade, then started R&S 4 in second grade. It isn't the most exciting program, but it is very thorough and gets the job done. Today the girls (6th and 4th grades) are working together in R&S 4.

My eldest child, the guinea pig, did a year of English for the Thoughtful Child, and a little bit of PLL. FLL never appealed to us. I really like R&S because it is straight forward and simple to implement. I wanted just grammar, not art and nature study, poetry, copy work, etc.

Diff'rent strokes. :)

We did not add extra writing to R&S 3.

We chose R&S 3 for my oldest this year because she really didn't enjoy or learn as much from FLL as I hoped. We decided to add Classical Writing Aesop A in addition to R&S mainly because I wanted to emphasize writing this year and next. (We emphasized reading pre-k and K and math 1 and 2). My oldest also likes to know exactly what is expected before beginning an assignment so teaching writing by rewriting a fable bears a lot more fruit than giving her a writing prompt ever would. R&S 3 does have a few writing assignments (mainly toward the end of the book). Since you're looking at second grade, I wouldn't worry about adding in another writing program. Basic copywork, learning cursive if you haven't already, and narrations are plenty for 2nd.

HTH