Menu

Chess books/resources for kids?

My daughter just got a chess set and is very excited to learn to play. Can anyone recommend books or other resources that would help her develop beginning game strategies? She knows how the pieces move but has no idea how to attack, and not much of a better idea of how to defend.

Thanks!

My daughter just got a chess set and is very excited to learn to play. Can anyone recommend books or other resources that would help her develop beginning game strategies? She knows how the pieces move but has no idea how to attack, and not much of a better idea of how to defend.

Thanks!

How crazy do you wish to get? :D

Bill

OK, here are a few of the resources we've been using (although the arrival of Beast Academy sort of blew a hole in the chess lesson schedule).

Bobby Fischer Teaches Chess by Stuart Margulies and Donn Mosenfelder. This one is a sentimental favorite as I learned with this one as a kid. Focuses on a lot of end-game tactics (rather than openings). Not an overwhelmingly difficult book.

Pandolfini's Ultimate Guide to Chess by Bruce Pandolfini. A sophisticated introduction to chess and chess tactics. Not your typical "kids book" but prized for that reason.

Winnng Chess Tactics by Yassir Seirwan and Jerry Stillman. Stilman is the author of a number of really good (and more advanced) books. This one is pushing it a little, but the explanation of Chess tactics is sound and pretty accessible (if one is built that way :D).

Logical Chess: Move by Move by Irving Chernev. In the first chess book of its kind (others have followed), Chernev takes famous games and analyses and discusses every move. What makes it a strong move, what liabilities the move creates, what alternative moves strengths and weaknesses might have been. One might argue this is not a "beginning" level book, I—however—love the way Chernev exposes the logic of the masters and how it allows an almost Socratic style of learning by fostering discussions of games and moves as one plays through games with ones child.

The last 3 are progressively more "teacher intensive." :D

Bill

My kids liked the "Fritz and Chesster" software. There's also a lot of stuff at chesskids.com.

Mine are also deep into Fritz and Chesster. DS7 has also checked out and read just about every children's book about chess that our library has. I think his favorite is Chess in Action, by Paul Mantell, but there are just tons of books available.

Is there a chess club in your city? Our city chess club has a very lively school program and holds open play for kids for a couple of hours every Sunday. There are instructors to coordinate the whole thing and it is very relaxed but lots of fun. Also, a US Chess membership gets you access to their website and a subscription to their kids magazine.