Menu

Does anyone have a futon or murphy bed?

Right now I have a queen bed in our very small play room. I'm tired of cooping up that room with a bed for the one time a year my in laws are here. I've tried the "best quality" blow up type mattresses and they hated it :glare:.

Does anyone have an IKEA futon? Or how would you do a murphy bed? I think that would be more costly. I once saw one at Costco that looked like a bookshelf but not any more. I have gone through 3 beds. I tried twin bunks, but they will not sleep high. I tried a twin IKEA bed with the thing that pulls out, but it is too flat. I need something full sized I guess, but the room is just so small I feel bad for the kids to not have their space back. I have already lost half the cost of the other ones selling them on Craigs list.

You can get good trundle beds where the one underneath then lifts up to regular height. Put good twin mattresses on them. Some are daybed styled and look nice in a room used regularly. I love futons but many people don't. I've noticed some thicker futons at the furniture store. I read mixed reviews on Ikea beds/mattresses. Or when they come take your bed apart and put the mattress in that room and you sleep on something else and don't mention it. A simple metal frame is cheap and could be kept in the garage or something.

You can get good trundle beds where the one underneath then lifts up to regular height. Put good twin mattresses on them. Some are daybed styled and look nice in a room used regularly. I love futons but many people don't. I've noticed some thicker futons at the furniture store. I read mixed reviews on Ikea beds/mattresses. Or when they come take your bed apart and put the mattress in that room and you sleep on something else and don't mention it. A simple metal frame is cheap and could be kept in the garage or something.

Oh I totally forgot about those daybeds with the pop up type trundle! I also read too many mixed reviews on IKEA. I guess I'll have to visit a few furniture stores. This time, it's only my MIL, so I can get a daybed and then next year by the trundle.

And NO, they will absolutely not sleep in our room. We have offered. I'd rather them not anyways. Plus, there is no sense since we have a separate room and bed option. And, being a good guest is just as important as being a good host. We end up bending over backwards every time and it's always just the same "oh, it's ok I guess." So, DH just wants to get something that will accomodate while not taking up so much room

Try a full-size sleeper sofa, but get the best mattress available for it. My friends have one that was custom-made at a local mattress factory, and wasn't much more expensive than a regular replacement sofabed mattress. I've slept on it, and it felt just like a regular bed. Plus you'll have a nice couch for the playroom.

Look around here for ideas: http://www.mattressinsider.com/the-idiots-guide-to-buying-a-sofa-bed-mattress.html?gclid=CI-Ah8rLo7ACFQaxnQodezxmYQ