Menu

If you use(d) Reading Made Easy , what else do(did) you use with it

Quiver0f10

I can't give you a "been there done that" answer because we are just starting this. This is for my 6 yr old DD. I'm also doing HWT Printing Power and ETC bk 1 right now. We'll be starting ETC bk 2 in the next 2 weeks or so.

I was planning on adding Growing w/ Grammar 1/2 but I think I'm going to wait awhile-maybe this fall....we'll see how it goes and how fast she progresses.

Hope more people chime in.

I used RME with my oldest, and I honestly think it's "enough" LA at that age except perhaps for handwriting. It includes picture study, reading practice (stories within the manual), games, sentence formation, introduction to capitalization and punctuation, and copywork. The font used in RME is Italic, so I used the Getty-Dubay books for her handwriting formation.

We didn't use any readers in addition to RME, except that she read a lot from the Dr. Seuss books. I'd been reading those to her since she was tiny, so it seemed the natural thing for her to start (and practice) reading them on her own. She then went straight into real books and spelling with Building Spelling Skills from CLP. We also used FIAR at the time.

I'm just starting RME with my 3rd dd now, but I can't say yet whether that and a separate handwriting book will be enough for her, as she has difficulty in speech and language skills.

I used RME with my 5 year old twins 3 days a week, and they read the Progessive Phonics books on line the other 2 days. They did ETC 1 (and the 3 Get ready ones at age 4) and that is the only phonics we have done. After we completed RME, they could read books like Boxcar Children(but they hate chapter books because they can never find where they left off, according to them) and Calvin and Hobbes.

Elmeryl (with J12, C9, R7, L7)

To complete your child's language arts program? What is your typical daily schedule. And what did you go onto use after your finished RME?

Hi, Jean! If you read my post in another thread, you know that I've used RME with four of my boys thus far. Actually, I'm just at the tail end of it with Rafe. Each boy started with it upon turning 5 years old and used it during kindergarten. I don't do the associated activities in the book, btw. We just cover the lesson and, when they're able, they do a bit of copywork. Also during K, they each use Getty Dubay Italic A and Spelling Workout A. They've had no need of any additional phonics, and I'm not compelled to cover grammar with them at that point. Once they finish RME, they go through lots of fun books such as Frog & Toad, Mouse Tales, Little Bear, and so on.

I hope RME works out for you. I have no recollection how I first heard about, given that absolutely no one I know is even familiar with it! I'm sure happy I found it, though. It was money well spent and I already feel nostalgic when I think I'll only be going through it one more time!

I taught RME everyday with my 6 yo son. He was 6 years 1 month when we started. Previously, I taught him using Phonics Pathway and Pyramids, coupled with bob books for 1 month. HE hated PP and Pyr, so we switched to RME. We finished in about 3.5 months. We did it everyday (7 days a week). IT's my son's idea, not mine. HE even brought RME during our vacation to San Antonio, and asked me to read with him in the car and at the hotel. When doing RME, I asked him to do copywork using computer because he couldn't write at that time. He enjoyed it, and I scanned the pics into his 'copywork', and he colored it. We did some of the index card thing. We played the game and made the worm.

After RME, I made several readers (without the marking) based on RME stories. I did this because my son is somewhat a slow learner. So everything has to be incremental. I've heard other people's children taking off with reading after such and such phonics program. But that never happen to my son. He has to be taught everything (not just reading) very incrementally .

After that, we dabbled with progressive phonics to get him used to reading without the marking. But he soon hated it. He didn't get the joke in Progr Phonics, and as a result, it became a deciphering exercise, instead of reading for enjoyment. That's okay though, it's only $10.

Then we dabbled with the Mc Guffey primer. We finished several lessons. May be lesson 20 ? And then I heard about Elson reader from this board. Since it's free, I downloaded the primer. I also downloaded Treadwell primer (AO suggestion). We're currently doing this, and my son has done well with them. We also start to read Bed Time For Frances. In the future, we're going to finish off the primers and read Dr. Seuss books (Green eggs and ham, cat in the hat), titch, other Frances, are you my mother-type of stories and other short picture books. For my son's first grade (this coming Aug), I will use Treadwell and Elson reader (1st reader). I plan to also use this following first readers f:

- A Primary Reader by Louise Smythe (google books).

- Introductory second reader: animal tales by HIram Fassett (beacon reader, available free from google books) --> after I exhaust the first readers.

- ANother introductory second reader by ... (forget), but you can easily find this at google book. I think it's horace reader, but I can't remember who the author was.

- I can Read series, according to his ability.

I tried Biscuit series (my first I can read series) per-Valerie (RME) suggestion. But we don't really like it because my son has to focus a lot on decoding skills, and the sentences are choppy. However, when reading Elson, Treadwell and Frances books, although they're more difficult and has longer stories, it turned out to be easy for my son because the sentences are coherent. He didn't stop a lot with these readers + Frances (my experience), but didn't seem to enjoy Biscuit series. Ah well ...

I also start ETC 2 with him. He doesn't really like it, but I still make him do it. I didn't plan to use ETC before (i.e. just did the phonics per ELSON guide at the back of the book). But I don't have time to make lesson plan, so I just shove in ETC for him to do.

Hope this helps.

Dian