Menu

Why Writing Fails CD and PHP question

Pata

Those of you who have listened to Why Writing Fails, does this cd do a good job of explaining SWB philosophy on how to teach writing? I was considering just buying the WWE book so that I could read more about how to teach writing and fit it into what we are already doing, but I'm thinking that the cd might be a better option.

Also does anyone know if you can use paypal on PHP's website?

I can't answer your question about the CD, but I just placed an order with them and did not see PayPal listed. I was specifically looking for it. You might call and ask if there's a way to do it though.

Those of you who have listened to Why Writing Fails, does this cd do a good job of explaining SWB philosophy on how to teach writing? I was considering just buying the WWE book so that I could read more about how to teach writing and fit it into what we are already doing, but I'm thinking that the cd might be a better option.

Are you talking about Writing Without Fear? If so, I think this CD does an excellent job of explaining how to teach writing. It gives much more info. than what is in WTM. I've listened to it over and over, taking lots of notes, until I really understood what to do and why. It gives lots of helpful info. on teaching writing in the grammar and logic stage, and an overview of rhetoric stage writing. It SOOOOOO helped me get a big picture.

If you go to PHP website and click on the "more information" part for Writing With Ease book, click on the sample chapters, esp. the first two. These two essays basically say the same thing as all that is in the CD. The CD gives a few more specific examples of what to do, though. So, I'd probably recommend that you read the sample chapters, and order the CD anyway - it's fun to listen to, too, because SWB makes you feel as though YOU CAN DO THIS!!! Then, if you feel you need more help for grammar stage, you can always buy the book. It's meant for grades 1 to 4, for kids who need help with putting thoughts into words, and getting words onto paper.

hth

Writing Without Fear is one of my favourite and most used purchaes from PHP. It really is excellent and gives a wonderful "bigger picture" as well as specifics, about the learning to writing process. I highly recommend it.