Menu

Saxon geometry question

Constructions are in the back of either the 8/7 or the 1/2 text...

1/3 of the Geometry concepts are taught in Algebra 1. They will not be reviewed in Algebra 2 but problems will be assigned that review or NEED the concepts to build on.

I would suggest working a separate Geometry curriculum...

I also do NOT suggest jumping into Saxon without working Saxon's Algebra 1. They teach concepts differently and in a different order. It really puts students at a disadvantage. It is not impossible--but it has a high chance of frustration/failure.... not worth the risk IMHO.

Saxon 'can' be a strong program if it works for your student--but it is not necessarily the best program out there.

I think it depends on the kid. I've had two kids jump into Saxon Algebra II successfully from different programs. My eldest did TT Algebra I, MUS Geometry and then jumped into Saxon Algebra II and had no problem. He's very mathy though and if he didn't understand something he was capable of researching and figuring it out just by being stubborn.

My oldest dd did MUS Algebra I and then jumped into Saxon Algebra II. She also had no problem even though she is not mathy at all! She's probably the better example because she didn't have any Geometry course squeezed in there. I did have the Saxon Algebra I book in the house and I think she did need to use it a couple of times for a few concepts but it wasn't a frequent occurence. We did use the DIVE CD's with the Algebra II so that may have helped a bit with the transition.

Just wanted to give you some examples of jumping in at the level successfully.

Ok, so dd has been a straight A math student with no problems until we hit algebra! We have spent 2 years (9th & 10th grade) fighting our way through (tried LOF, TT, and finally settled on Kinetic Books Aglebra 1) algebra 1. She struggled with Kinetic Books as well, but I'm beginning to think it might not be a curriculum thing, but just a math thing with her. She is a perfectionist, so if she doesn't get it the first time around, she beats herself up.:glare: Anyway, earlier this year I bought Lial's Advanced Algebra for her to move onto since I heard many good things about it, but am not sure what to do about geometry. Dh would like her to have geometry before moving into algebra 2, so when I was researching I ran across Saxon and read how geometry was integrated in with algebra. However, I would hate to set dd up for more frustration and stress. We have 2 years of high school left and she needs at least geometry and algebra 2. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (preferably inexpensive ones as our budget is very limited :tongue_smilie:).

Have you looked into Math-U-See.? We left it because my oldest didn't feel that it was challenging enough and he was interested in possibly continuing his math education at the college level and then my dd just wanted to do the same thing as her brother so stayed with Saxon. But, if your daughter just wants to get the requirements in, MUS may be your answer. The Geometry doesn't include proofs until the very end of the book. I haven't used the Algebra II so have no experience with that course.