Menu

Notebook Page for Reading

For first and now most of second grade, I've just had my dd8 read the challenging/difficult books and every now and then I will ask her to tell me what she remembers but I don't write it down.

In the WTM, it says to do a notebook page 2-3 times a week of the child's narrations and/or they can draw pictures to illustrate the narrations. Does anyone do this? I'm wondering if just letting her read the books and not doing a narration is going to hinder her in any way? I was reading ahead and what it seems to help the child prepare for is book reports.

For those that do the notebook pages, could you show me an example or explain what it is you have the child do?

I do bookmarks instead of notebook pages. We keep them in a box. They allow for a short blurb on the back of the bookmark, 5-star rating, and a place to list descriptive words or unknown words. We found this to be easier and more fun. The bookmarks are reviewed every so often and words are defined using synonyms and a short sentence is used to illustrate the word. We name the part of speech too. These notecards go into a box that we use during writing. Only words of worth, or WOW, are placed in the notecard box.

Bookmarks can be viewed and downloaded from our blog.

I would think since a lot of people here follow WTM that there must be people doing that, but we don't either.

My son is working on a book cover, which might be similar to the bookmark idea. It gets summary of the book on back, along with blurbs. About the illustrator and author on inside flaps. Picture and title and so on the front. Inside is supposed to be something about the chapters and a vocabulary word for each chapter--or since the book he is working on is a long one, this will be for groups of 4 chapters together

There was a website that showed examples.

Instead of reports, I have started teaching mini-lessons and reading comprehension strategies, before reading. So I'm preparing, instead of quizzing. And hopefully the strategies I'm teaching will be applied to all further reading.

I had decades worth of unrelated ideas about reading, that I didn't know how to use or connect. I recently hit some books and blogs that connected everything I knew, and then built on that.

I'm done quizzing, and instead am going to start preparing, by teaching strategies. Scholastic has some acceptable reading strategies workbooks on sale for $1.00. I'm sure I'll find something better, now that I know what I want to look for, so didn't buy much, but just enough for now. I am going to buy all 19 of the red literature circle guides for grades 4-8 though, as the base of an individualized reading plan focused on reading strategies instead of literature appreciation.

I use CGE as my main language arts curricula. Their book reports are an EVALUATION and NOT a summary. I've embraced that idea for literature. I believe novels are primarily pieces of art, not primarily content. I think they are best evaluated instead of summarized. These are Spalding's Writing Road to Reading "Attributes of Quality Literature":

Precise Language – the author clearly describes the people, animals, places, and events (and uses lots of adjectives and adverbs)

Emotional Appeal – the author’s descriptions make us feel a certain way. Examples of emotions (how we feel): happy, sad, angry, sorry, proud, etc.

Content – the writing gives scientific, historical, geographical or other types of information.

Insight – the writing helps us understand different people and why they do what they do.

Universality – the writing is interesting and enjoyable for all kinds of different people.

Anyway that is where I am at for NOW, in my journey of trying to get a grasp of what I think is important to cover, and what is not.

Summaries of literature are at the bottom of a BIG pile :-)

Instead of reports, I have started teaching mini-lessons and reading comprehension strategies, before reading. So I'm preparing, instead of quizzing. And hopefully the strategies I'm teaching will be applied to all further reading.

I had decades worth of unrelated ideas about reading, that I didn't know how to use or connect. I recently hit some books and blogs that connected everything I knew, and then built on that.

I'm done quizzing, and instead am going to start preparing, by teaching strategies. Scholastic has some acceptable reading strategies workbooks on sale for $1.00. I'm sure I'll find something better, now that I know what I want to look for, so didn't buy much, but just enough for now. I am going to buy all 19 of the red literature circle guides for grades 4-8 though, as the base of an individualized reading plan focused on reading strategies instead of literature appreciation.

I use CGE as my main language arts curricula. Their book reports are an EVALUATION and NOT a summary. I've embraced that idea for literature. I believe novels are primarily pieces of art, not primarily content. I think they are best evaluated instead of summarized. These are Spalding's Writing Road to Reading "Attributes of Quality Literature":

Precise Language – the author clearly describes the people, animals, places, and events (and uses lots of adjectives and adverbs)

Emotional Appeal – the author’s descriptions make us feel a certain way. Examples of emotions (how we feel): happy, sad, angry, sorry, proud, etc.

Content – the writing gives scientific, historical, geographical or other types of information.

Insight – the writing helps us understand different people and why they do what they do.

Universality – the writing is interesting and enjoyable for all kinds of different people.

Anyway that is where I am at for NOW, in my journey of trying to get a grasp of what I think is important to cover, and what is not.

Summaries of literature are at the bottom of a BIG pile :-)

I LOVE this! Thanks for inspiring me. This sounds like a great fit for us. Thank you! :001_smile: