Menu

HOD - anyone like one year, and not another? RTR?

We used HOD's CTC this year, and it was truly a great year. I can be organizationally challenged, and the schedule was great, even though we tweaked things to make it more to our liking, used our own writing program and math, and took out some crafty things. The kids really enjoyed it, and I saw lots of growth in many areas, and was looking forward to continuing with RTR for my two ds who will be in 7th grade next year. However, we borrowed the books from a friend, and I really don't like several of the books, including MOH III, which doesn't read as much like a "living book" story as the books they read this year - which were intense and full of rich language, but told in story form.

So here are my questions. Has anyone really liked HOD for one year, and not at all for another? Have you found the quality of the program is consistent? Has anyone used RTR and really liked it?

Thanks!

We have enjoyed RTR this year. I didn't mind MOH at all (neither did my boys). At their age (8th and 6th), they need exposure to text-booky type books anyway and this was perfect. The rest of the program is fantastic. FWIW, Preparing was our favorite year and since we started there...the other younger programs didn't really live up to expectation. They were good, don't get me wrong but I really am of the opinion that they get better. I didn't care for LHFHG at all, didn't prefer the emphasis on Colonial Times in Beyond, enjoyed Bigger a bit more than Beyond, etc. Haven't used CtC yet. Looking forward to Rev to Rev next year...it just looks super!

We have used every guide with the exception of Little Hands. Our favorite years were Preparing and RTR. My boys especially enjoyed RTR. I wasn't as crazy about some of the history books, but my boys loved them. I just really like SOTW and would have been happy with that. They want more detail. I do think MOH reads more like a living book once you get into it though. If you pick an excerpt here or there, it might seem more textbookish. The art study, the Shakespeare study, the boyhood study, and the science were great! If you really liked CTC then I think you will love RTR. My boys have enjoyed our year with RevtoRev this year, but not nearly as much as last year with RTR.:)

Thank you both for your responses, that's good to hear. My guys perused MOH and one of them said it was fine, and the other, who has really blossomed this year with CTC's living books, didn't like it at all - said it wasn't a "story," and was harder to remember. Truthfully, I have that reaction to it also. But I do hear other people love it! And I do love that schedule and everything planned, even if I tweak it a lot....

I'd love to hear more about the science as well; did you use it as written, or substitute? Was it enough for a 6th grader?

Thanks!

We have used every guide with the exception of Little Hands. Our favorite years were Preparing and RTR. My boys especially enjoyed RTR. I wasn't as crazy about some of the history books, but my boys loved them. I just really like SOTW and would have been happy with that. They want more detail. I do think MOH reads more like a living book once you get into it though. If you pick an excerpt here or there, it might seem more textbookish. The art study, the Shakespeare study, the boyhood study, and the science were great! If you really liked CTC then I think you will love RTR. My boys have enjoyed our year with RevtoRev this year, but not nearly as much as last year with RTR.:)

Allison,

How old are your boys who finished up Rev2Rev this year?:001_smile:

Have not us RtR yet but we will next year for my seventh grader. I have however read a majority of the science peortion because I was curious about the work load/ if it was "enough". And yes, in my opinion it is ABSOLUTELY enough for my seventh grader. I especially think if you want more/stronger Cuenca you could certainly use option 1 AND 2. That would really add to the science.

About the MOH book...I sat down one evening and paged through it worrie about how "text bookish" it seemed and before I knew it I was drawn into this fabulous story of history! It reads like a novel! Lol! Incredible! I had a really hard time puttin it down!

abrightmom,

My boys are 12 & 13, finishing up 6th & 7th grade. I do think that my 7th grader has gotten much more out of the guides than the 6th grader. However, I really like having them combined. I have tried a couple of time to uncombine them, and it has never worked out well. :)

alilac & Evergreen Academy,

I thought the science was great in RTR. Both boys loved the Apologia Astronomy book, even though we had already used that one several years prior. One child couldn't stand A Child's Geography, the other didn't mind it, but it wasn't a favorite. They both loved the Tiner book, and the biographies, especially Galileo. I'm not sure it had that much more critical thinking than the science in CTC, it sort of folllows the same format, but they had a love for Science that year. This past year in Rev2Rev, the Science has been more challenging. Exploration Education has been interesting and they have learned quite a bit, but they much preferred the inventor study. Hope this helps some.:)

I will say that HOD has been a very good fit for my boys, but I'm not as convinced it is as great of a fit for my dd. We may end up using something else for her.

Allison

abrightmom,

My boys are 12 & 13, finishing up 6th & 7th grade. I do think that my 7th grader has gotten much more out of the guides than the 6th grader. However, I really like having them combined. I have tried a couple of time to uncombine them, and it has never worked out well. :)

alilac & Evergreen Academy,

I thought the science was great in RTR. Both boys loved the Apologia Astronomy book, even though we had already used that one several years prior. One child couldn't stand A Child's Geography, the other didn't mind it, but it wasn't a favorite. They both loved the Tiner book, and the biographies, especially Galileo. I'm not sure it had that much more critical thinking than the science in CTC, it sort of folllows the same format, but they had a love for Science that year. This past year in Rev2Rev, the Science has been more challenging. Exploration Education has been interesting and they have learned quite a bit, but they much preferred the inventor study. Hope this helps some.:)

I will say that HOD has been a very good fit for my boys, but I'm not as convinced it is as great of a fit for my dd. We may end up using something else for her.

Allison

A Child's Geography worries me. We hated it in CTC, so I'm dreading it in RTR even though it's used for Science. I wonder if there's something else I can replace it with. It studies earth science correct? Tiner is always a hit.

I'm really happy you mentioned more critical thinking. I was worried on this. I don't just want dd answering questions on what they read...not in 6th anyway. Nice to know it goes further.

A Child's Geography worries me. We hated it in CTC, so I'm dreading it in RTR even though it's used for Science. I wonder if there's something else I can replace it with. It studies earth science correct? Tiner is always a hit.

I'm doing CTC with my dd and she groans when I pull out A Child's Geography. She HAS learned some things from it, but it is boring. I'm looking at using MapTrek and maybe Trail Guide for RtR, but I think A Child's Geo. Vol 1 is better than Vol 2.

Did any of you who've used A Child's Geography 1 like it - and did your kids like it? We learned some things from ACGII, but grew very weary of it by the end of the year, and I admit, haven't completely kept up with it. Please tell me something good about the one used for earth science?

I can say the same thing about Vol II. We grew weary of it about January.

The info isn't bad, but why on earth a Geo book has black and white pages is beyond me. The field notes ...ack. We just narrated. The mapping was a joke because the maps to print were so, so small and just got just plain boring.

So yes. Tell me something good about the one used for Earth Science. While it looks like an easier read, I'm not sold on it.

:bigear:

I'm doing CTC with my dd and she groans when I pull out A Child's Geography. She HAS learned some things from it, but it is boring. I'm looking at using MapTrek and maybe Trail Guide for RtR, but I think A Child's Geo. Vol 1 is better than Vol 2.

Trail Guide (biblical) was okay, but it lacks horribly if you use it simply for mapping. I think using it with the Bronze Bow would have been better. It would apply to "something" otherwise you're just going through the motions of mapping. Plus, unless you look further into the information (trail blazing), there's just no connections. And with HOD, there simply isn't time for all that Geography using Trail Guide. We found some info hard to find and I always felt like we needed more maps or more books. I ended up ordering the Bible Almanac and we had to use some maps in the Bible. It's more research mapping.

So we went back to "A Child's Geography" and just read it, nothing else, but dd didn't like it either. Dry.

Map Trek looks better in RTR this year. :)