Menu

AG 3rd season ???

Dd did AG season 1 in 6th, season 2 in 7th, and will do season 3 in 8th. She always finished AG around the end of the first semester so I supplimented with AG Reinforcements, Editor in Chief, and Word Roots. We also concentrate of writing the 2nd semester. She did SWI-C this year. We do 4 "major" book studies a year with other books thrown in for fun.

But, now I'm rethinking 8th grade. AG 3rd season is not grammar. My original plans included finishing AG and working through Editor in Chief and Word Roots. I wasn't going to do a formal writing program, but instead have dd write and write and write, which she loves to do.

Is that enough? Or should I add more grammar review?

Dd did AG season 1 in 6th, season 2 in 7th, and will do season 3 in 8th. She always finished AG around the end of the first semester so I supplimented with AG Reinforcements, Editor in Chief, and Word Roots. We also concentrate of writing the 2nd semester. She did SWI-C this year. We do 4 "major" book studies a year with other books thrown in for fun.

But, now I'm rethinking 8th grade. AG 3rd season is not grammar. My original plans included finishing AG and working through Editor in Chief and Word Roots. I wasn't going to do a formal writing program, but instead have dd write and write and write, which she loves to do.

Is that enough? Or should I add more grammar review?

Hi Holly,

My dd finished AG in 2 years (6th-7th grades) and also used the Reinforcement books. I'll share what she did in her 8th grade year and hope it will be food for thought for you.

In 8th grade (this year), she took an out-sourced Comp. I class with our homeschool covering. This is not a co-op, but a "school-like" class. She received a high-school credit from this course.

Comp I combined grammar, literature, and composition. The teacher made each student a Comp I notebook. She based her grammar lessons on The Writers Reference w/ 2009 MLA Updates:

http://www.amazon.com/Writers-Reference-2009-MLA-Update/dp/0312593325

The grammar exercises in the notebook included a grammar concept to be learned, for example, for commas, she might have taught that a comma separates 2 independent clauses joined by a conjunction... it's the very kind of lessons in AG Season 3. The Comp I class notebook also included practice sentences linking grammar rules to the application of those rules that the students had to punctuate. This went on the entire 1st semester. This sounds very similar to using AG Season 3 and maybe Editor In Chief.

The second semester, the class focused more on essays. The teacher gave proofreading assignments forcing the students to look for their own errors in their essays. This made the students rely 100% on the grammar rules learned in 1st semester. As each essay was assigned, the requirements became stiffer. The essays started out a couple of pages in length and became about 5 pages in length at the end of the year. Also, penalties for punctuation errors became fair because the students were held responsible for what they had learned in 1st semester.

Underlying all of this were literature journals. The students read 7+/- novels. Lit journal assignments were based on the novels. Lit journals started at the beginning of the year and lasted most of the year. A lit journal consisted of 10 questions. Each question had multiple questions. A student could have been asked about lit. terms, general comprehention, spiritual content, etc. These lit journals gave additional practice in writing and punctuation. They were not graded as stiffly as essays were, but were just as challenging as the teacher was looking for the student to answer each question by using specific details to support each answer.

All this to say, in my opinion, you've covered adequate grammar in AG Season 1-2. Season 3 will give you application practice. Then you can require your dd to use what she has learned in practical ways...any writing assignment.

HTH:001_smile:

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama

That sounds like an interesting plan. Dd does very well in grammar, I just don't want her to forget it. I like Editor in Chief because it makes you think about grammar differently (proofing rather than writing or diagramming).

I don't think another writing program would be beneficial. She learned so much with SWI-C. So, writing across the curriculum would be my plan. We are doing World Geography next year. I'm thinking that is loaded with writing ideas. She could do a basic country report or an indepth study of some aspect of the country(music, art, food, economy, religion, government, etc). I'm also thinking some compare/contrast essays using Material World as a spine/jumping off point.

That sounds like an interesting plan. Dd does very well in grammar, I just don't want her to forget it. I like Editor in Chief because it makes you think about grammar differently (proofing rather than writing or diagramming).

I don't think another writing program would be beneficial. She learned so much with SWI-C. So, writing across the curriculum would be my plan. We are doing World Geography next year. I'm thinking that is loaded with writing ideas. She could do a basic country report or an indepth study of some aspect of the country(music, art, food, economy, religion, government, etc). I'm also thinking some compare/contrast essays using Material World as a spine/jumping off point.

You could also consider.... Windows to the World??? I think that's it. (Or something like it). Something where you read a novel and write about it. I only mention that b/c several such posts have recently caught my eye. I think this is also an IEW product. ETA: Lit Lessons from the Lord of the Rings would be fun too.

Writing across the curriculum would be perfect, though. Maybe even have someone else grade the writing to get an impartial opinion and ideas for how she could improve.

Edited by Sweet Home Alabama