Menu

Do I need Cuisenaire Rods if....

Edwena

I guess I would ask.....for what? If it's for MUS you don't need cuisenaire rods also. If it's for Miquon, then you wouldn't use MUS blocks but you'd need the cuisenaire. If it's for activities with cuisenaire rods that were posted recently (the videos)....then I'm sure you could use your MUS blocks and do the same thing.

Was this helpful??? I'm not sure that it was. :001_smile: Maybe you could clarify.

I guess I would ask.....for what? If it's for MUS you don't need cuisenaire rods also. If it's for Miquon, then you wouldn't use MUS blocks but you'd need the cuisenaire. If it's for activities with cuisenaire rods that were posted recently (the videos)....then I'm sure you could use your MUS blocks and do the same thing.

Was this helpful??? I'm not sure that it was. :001_smile: Maybe you could clarify.

:iagree:

We have both MUS and C-rods. DD8 prefers the MUS blocks for some reason, though.

I thought later when I was away from the computer that I should have been more specific.:blush: It's for the activities with cuisenaire rods that were posted recently (videos). I was thinking I could do the same with the MUS blocks.

I actually found the Cuisenaire rods more helpful than the MUS rods. Because they're not scored, you can use them to represent different values. I introduce fractions using the Cuisenaire rods. They are my favorite for teaching early math.

I thought later when I was away from the computer that I should have been more specific.:blush: It's for the activities with cuisenaire rods that were posted recently (videos). I was thinking I could do the same with the MUS blocks.

Yes, you could use the MUS blocks for most, if not all, of those activities. I have both...so I was going to try and build the towers with the MUS blocks and see. That's the only thing I'm thinking might not work out, since the MUS blocks are hollow on one side....I'm not certain they could stack on top of each other vertically, like in the videos. I'll have dd try this later and see. Although, since you already have MUS blocks, you could try it for yourself too. :001_smile:

Yes, you should be able to use the MUS blocks for all the activities in the videos. The MUS blocks are actually better for building than plastic C-rods because the plastic C-rods bubble out a bit on the edges so you can't stack them to make a "wall" for a building.

See Crewton Ramone's videos (google it!) for more ideas of how to use your MUS blocks.

I actually found the Cuisenaire rods more helpful than the MUS rods. Because they're not scored, you can use them to represent different values. I introduce fractions using the Cuisenaire rods. They are my favorite for teaching early math.

Yes, you should be able to use the MUS blocks for all the activities in the videos. The MUS blocks are actually better for building than plastic C-rods because the plastic C-rods bubble out a bit on the edges so you can't stack them to make a "wall" for a building.

See Crewton Ramone's videos (google it!) for more ideas of how to use your MUS blocks.

Dd7 worked through the problems in Rosie's videos yesterday using both C-rods and MUS blocks -- but not in the same problem. Hope that makes sense. Pics here.

ETA: We made SM bar models for some of the problems also.

Edited by Beth in SW WA

Beth could you give examples, pretty please??? I need to move us forward with the CWP at some point....

Rosie, On this pic attached you can see part of the bar model for 5^2 - 4^2. I made a simple model and we first filled the model with squares. After she 'saw' the answer with the rods, we erased the squares and I just wrote the numbers. Clear as mud? :tongue_smilie:

You gave me the idea in your video on squares.

post-530-1353508675188_thumb.jpg

post-530-1353508675188_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beth in SW WA