Menu

Another Pre-Algebra Q

I really need help deciding on which company to use.

My ds 11 does not like math, but is decent at it. He is not self-motivated.

I have ruled out TT and Saxon.

We used Singapore up through 4A and then switched to Saxon for 5/4 through 7/6. He did great, but I am tired of Saxon. It is just too much, too boring. He dreads it and it takes too long. We also did LOF Fractions and Decimals this year.

Should I switch to New Directions Singapore Math for grade 7?

Can anyone comment on LOF PreAlgebra??

What else is a good program?

My son did LOF pre-algebra and then I enrolled him in a MathCounts program and realized how seriously behind he was. I found Derek Owens online classes and the pre-algebra has been a hit. I feel that all the gaps are being corrected.

LOF, in my opinion, is an awesome supplement. Very fun, and he comes at conversion factors in a unique way, but ultimately not sufficient for a complete intro into algebra.

http://www.LucidEducation.com/

Hope that helps!

We are a serious math family (Dad is a math professor, I was a bench scientist and have tutored high school and U students in math on the U's payroll for the university students) and we use Fred for our primary program-- we ditched AoPS as unnecessary. We love it and find it very complete for a strong math student.

To use Fred successfully, though, the student *really* has to sit and read the explanations of the math, not just copy the examples and do the problems. Stan recommends 30 minutes per page on math concepts pages, and although that may be a little high at the lower levels, it isn't a terrible guideline.

DS11 is now in Algebra, but we have the books through calculus and love the presentation and amount of work (I include the Home Companions)-- with the exception that I have not yet seen the geometry book to be used after algebra II in this series. Time will tell if we still sing this tune in a couple of years.

I do not think Fred is for all learners. If a student tries to blow through it too quickly or doesn't carefully read the answers after working the problems or doesn't enjoy making the connections a little bit himself instead of having everything handed over incrementally (or has a nervous parent who really wants zillions of problems but doesn't want to buy the Zillions of Problems supplement or use Khan Academy) then he will be better off with another program.

This year we did a combination approach. We used MUS as our main curriculum with Khan Academy videos thrown in as needed. To boost up understanding we used Hands On Equations - just the books/manipulatives, no video - and brought that into MUS lessons as well.

For fun we read LoF.

I'd have to say that I am pretty confident in his ability to go on to Algebra now (we're trying Art Of Problem Solving) and the three different approaches really helped cement the abstract ideas in his head.

What is "New Directions Singapore Math"? I've never heard of that one before.

Most Singapore users go with either Discovering Mathematics 1 or New Elementary Mathematics 1 after Primary Math 6B. DM is more similar in style to the PM series than NEM.