Menu

I'm having to adjust academics for DS already.

I'm using CLE with my youngest. She was fine at first but is now in 105 and is now balking. I think you're right about how it speeds up. If it's working for you, though, I would keep at it.

Some Catholics on this forum won't use CLE, but I will because I was absolutely desperate to find a math program that worked for for my other SPD girl. It's so hard to find things that work with some kids, that I will stay with what does and not feel bad about it.

Edited by NJKelli

My plan was:

"2nd (PDD-NOS)

Language Arts:

I See Sam level 5

Apples & Pears A

Writing Skills Activities for Special Children by Diane Mannix

Math:

Basic Math Skills, by Evan Moor Grade 2"

Reality is he struggles across the board with academics. -

Language Arts:

I See Sam changed once we got into the level 4 readers. He shuts down at the sight of the books now. He loves sports and animals. I was given a heads up about Matt Christopher having younger readers that include both. I've requested those along with Nora Gaydos's level 3 readers from the library trying to pull him back into being willing to learn to read. We're also co-reading the Curious George books since we have all of them.

Apples and Pears is just too much writing for him and even at a slower pace, doesn't seem to be what he needs. I pulled out Spelling Power with Activity Cards which a dear friend shared with me. He says he likes this better and he wanted to write the spelling words. He surprised me at how well he did with the spelling part of the first few lists. Although, with his writing he still went back to all spidery uppercase letters.

Writing Skills Activities I have looked through, but not started yet as I wanted to finish Super Duper's Fine Motor Fun Deck - which he did so today and Unstuck and On Target - which is going okay.

Math:

Basic Math Skills was a bust, it seems like busy work and assumes they know how to vs teaching. I tried implementing that alongside CLE, because while he really likes CLE and can actually do it independently, I wish it were secular and have heard it starts to move too fast and introduce too much at once. He's in book 105, and I just ordered 106-110. So for now I guess we stick with it. I have no back up plan.

On a positive note, Super Duper's OT cards have worked out really well. He also loves the Let's Read and Find Out Science series and is enjoying Judy Press' Animal Habitats.

My 10 year old is having trouble with some of Writing Skills A, it seems simple, but might actually be hard for 2nd grade. I still had my High Noon even though ds was past that level in reading, and have gone back to it, and I think also will return to Language! for writing. MUS worked quite well for mine for math--except that now he is sick of it so we are on Key to Fractions, which when you get to that stage, also seems good. MUS is not absolutely totally secular, one word problem had someone saying or reading ? devotions and wanted to know something like if 2 each day are said, how many in a week. Other than that I didn't notice anything nonsecular.

At this point I'll stick with CLE Math until he starts to buck. It's interesting that your dd started to balk at 105. I didn't want to order too far out with his history, so just got 5 more light units.

That's the great thing about CLE: you can buy in small quantities and see how it goes.

For my youngest, the effects of SPD on schoolwork are wacky. The environment is much more of an issue than curriculum at this point. Recently, she prefers to do her work in a dark room on our lower level where it's most quiet, with grandma writing for her. She doesn't like how the pencil feels. It doesn't help that she chews her nails. She'll play non-stop outside and in bright places, but she wants to work in the dark. I'm hoping this is a phase and it will pass before long. Thankfully, she's not my first with SPD.

Very frustrating. :banghead: