Menu

Teacher's Lounge ~ 5/22/12

I haven't seen a "teacher's lounge" thread in awhile. Maybe everyone is already on summer break? Or is everyone just busy with spring activities?

Anyway...I'm bored, so here are some questions for you....

What are you eating/serving today?

What's the weather like where you live?

How often do you do things for yourself? (like making time for a hobby, going out without kids, etc). What are some things you do for your own mental well-being?

If you enjoy reading, what book are you currently reading or what book have you recently enjoyed?

:bigear:

Mama! I've been hyperfocused on other things right now. But I'm ignoring them for the moment to answer this.

Breakfast - 4 oz. green smoothie, light Eng. muffin, p.b, 2 eggs, water

Lunch - salad with protein

Dinner - not sure yet.

Drizzly. I'm hoping that it will dry off enough so that I can mow the front lawn.

How often do you do things for yourself? (like making time for a hobby, going out without kids, etc). What are some things you do for your own mental well-being? I'm starting to do this more and more now that my youngest is 10. I can't tell you "how often" but I just scheduled a "date" with a friend to go see a foreign film next month. I'm hoping to schedule a "coffee date" with a lady that I'd like to get to know better (one of our librarians!)

If you enjoy reading, what book are you currently reading or what book have you recently enjoyed? I'm revisiting the Agatha Christie mysteries right now. Today I'm reading "The Body in the Library". I think I know who-dun-it but not how.

What are you eating/serving today? breakfast was leftovers, lunch was a pb sandwich and dinner will be burritos.

What's the weather like where you live? hot and humid--it's gross outside!

How often do you do things for yourself? (like making time for a hobby, going out without kids, etc). What are some things you do for your own mental well-being? Rarely and it's starting to cause problems for me. I really need to take more time for myself.

If you enjoy reading, what book are you currently reading or what book have you recently enjoyed? We just finished The Three Musketeers and we have started Uncle Tom's Cabin for our current read aloud. For myself I'm reading Cake Icing, Butt Budder and Tea Lids--something that was free on Kindle. It's been a pretty good read so far. Nothing deep--lots of laughs. My mom just gave me I Still Dream About You by Fannie Flagg. I'll read that next.

Maybe everyone is already on summer break? Or is everyone just busy with spring activities?

Sigh. I truly wish we were on summer break already. I feel like we're just limping through the to end of this lackluster year . . . and it won't even be the end, because we'll have to do math and Spanish for several weeks in order to finish.

Spring is busy for theatre kids, though. My son just finished a three-weekend run of Hairspray this past Sunday and has his dance recital a week from Saturday. My daughter is volunteering for and attended a variety of performances at a big theatre festival. I'm busy driving them all over the Orlando area.

Breakfast was the usual assortment from which to choose: oatmeal, toast, smoothies, fruit. Lunch is DIY. I'm having a bowl of grits. I don't know what the kids did.

Assuming I can muster the energy (after not going to bed until 3:00 am), I think I'm making spagetti for dinner.

It's too warm already. It's nice when I go out for my walk in the morning, but by afternoon, it's muggy.

How often do you do things for yourself? (like making time for a hobby, going out without kids, etc). What are some things you do for your own mental well-being?

I take long walks with my dog first thing in the morning pretty much every day. While walking, I listen to audiobooks or podcasts of favorite NPR programs. I sometimes take another, shorter walk while waiting for a kid to finish a rehearsal, class or performance, if there's a nice park or something close by. Once or twice a week, I stay up after everyone else goes to bed and watch a TV show that only enjoy. I make a cup of herbal tea, get a little snack and cuddle up on the couch with the dog while I watch.

If you enjoy reading, what book are you currently reading or what book have you recently enjoyed?

:bigear:

I'm currently reading Bringing Down the House: The Story of Six M.I.T. Students Who Took Vegas for Millions and Troy with my son for school. I'm reading Tempest Rising in little chunks when I have time to actually sit and read, and I'm listening to John Lithgow read his book Drama during my walks. I'm really, really enjoying the Lithgow book.