Menu

Solar System projects

fourcatmom

We are finishing up our year with a unit on the Solar System. They will be making a book but they also wanted to do one final big project. We have until 6/6 to actually be finished so I do have some time for shipping but not much.

I would rather not buy a kit but I will if that's the best choice. I have done searching on Pinterest but I am not finding exactly what I am looking for.

Any ideas for a Solar System project that maybe we could spend a few days on. If you have a bought a kit that your older child enjoyed (10ish) can you share with me the link?

Thanks!

We did the solar system using foam balls. It was a lotta fun. That was several years ago, so I don't have a link. I'm sure Google would have ideas.

When I was in ps/3rd grade, we made the planets and sun out of paper mache and hung them in the room. That was fun too.

The foam balls would be fun. I am really bad at paper mache - we tried to make the Earth and it didn't look like the Earth is all I can say! :001_huh:

We bought one of those "kits" from Hobby Lobby. It came with just the foam balls, dowels to connect the solar system around the sun, and a hook to hang it in their room. It was around $8-10.

We used our own acrylic paints and brushes. My boys worked on it together, they were 9 and 11 when we did it this past Spring. They both found it to be enjoyable because they tried to make the planets as realistic as possible from what we had learned. They both enjoyed it overall. Now, if we could just get it off the top of the computer armoire and hung in their room, it would be even better.

Our kit was this one but from Hobby Lobby.

Edited by Maeintx

We bought one of those "kits" from Hobby Lobby. It came with just the foam balls, dowels to connect the solar system around the sun, and a hook to hang it in their room. It was around $8-10.

We used our own paints and brushes. My boys worked on it together, they were 9 and 11 when we did it this past Spring. They both found it to be enjoyable because they tried to make the planets as realistic as possible from what we had learned. They both enjoyed it overall. Now, if we could just get it off the top of the computer armoire and hung in their room, it would be even better.

I was just noticing that they had the kit at Overstock.com but it would be better if I could just go buy it somewhere local. Is it like this one?

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Styrofoam-White-Solar-System-Kit/3485483/product.html

Thanks, I think this idea is perfect and exactly what they would enjoy!

I was just noticing that they had the kit at Overstock.com but it would be better if I could just go buy it somewhere local. Is it like this one?

http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Styrofoam-White-Solar-System-Kit/3485483/product.html

Thanks, I think this idea is perfect and exactly what they would enjoy!

yes, I just added the Amazon link but it looks the same.

I've done it two ways in the past. My older kids used balloons inflated to different sizes, with construction paper rings, hung from the ceiling with string.

On my second round with my third DC, I hung a piece of black fabric on the wall. I'm going to guess it was about 30" high, and two yards long. Then we started adding pieces as he learned about them. The sun was yellow felt, and just took up one corner to show how massive it was compared to the planets. We used the cut-outs from Learning Page to start with (free, but you have to sign up), and we improvised with craft materials we could find in the house for the belts, comets, and such.

I've done it two ways in the past. My older kids used balloons inflated to different sizes, with construction paper rings, hung from the ceiling with string.

On my second round with my third DC, I hung a piece of black fabric on the wall. I'm going to guess it was about 30" high, and two yards long. Then we started adding pieces as he learned about them. The sun was yellow felt, and just took up one corner to show how massive it was compared to the planets. We used the cut-outs from Learning Page to start with (free, but you have to sign up), and we improvised with craft materials we could find in the house for the belts, comets, and such.

That sounds like a great idea, thanks for sharing!

Not a model that you can keep but the thing my kids learned the most from and enjoyed the most was a solar system walk.

http://www.noao.edu/education/peppercorn/pcmain.html

I love it, thanks!