Menu

Do you like BJU Fundamental of Math (7th)?

If we do it, it will be with the DVD if that makes a difference.

My ds will be an older 7th grader next year. He is doing TT6 this year. I think he needs a year of review before going into pre-algebra. We are switching to a lot of BJU stuff this year thanks to the big sale they are having. I guess I was wondering if the BJU w/ DVD would give him more explanation and a firmer foundation.

I need to decide soon. So, your thoughts & opinions are welcome. ;)

If you want to stick with the BJU math, yes then that's a good point to go in at. I have the math 7 text and taught some of it to her myself. She's doing the TT pre-algebra now, so who am I to say? TT is not harder, lol. For *my* kid BJU was just kind of mean, with long problem sets, etc. etc. It's good, yes. Right now more into the reality check, compromise, get it done mode. I borrowed my SIL's old edition pre-algebra to go through with her, just to make sure everything is fine. We've just done a little bit, mainly stuff I had already covered with her in other curricula.

I don't know. I just don't sweat this whole "TT is going to ruin your kids with math forever" thing. BJU is awesome and TT is adequate. Plain as mud? BJU is going to take a LOT longer to get done each day. It's going to have longer problem sets. It's going to require more thought. That doesn't make it better, just different. Better is getting done. My SIL got the new edition 7 and now pre-algebra to use with the dvds with her ds, and she seems very happy. It's good. If you want to use BJU, it's good. That doesn't mean you have to switch from TT, kwim?

Have you done any standardized testing to see how your kids are doing? That would be very revealing. It really seems to vary with the kid as to how they respond with TT. With BJU you know you're getting a really standard progression and level of content that will definitely have them testing solidly (assuming reasonable aptitude and time spent). With TT it really seems to vary with the student. Doing some testing this summer before you make these changes would probably be a VERY WISE idea. That way you have something concrete you're making decisions on a year from now when you decide how the BJU thing went. :)

Thank you, OhElizabeth. I will be testing him pretty soon...as soon as he gets over the virus he has, anyway. Hopefully, I'll get the results before the Solutions meeting in July.

The problem my kids seem to have with TT is that they introduce a new concept and then give only a few problems on that topic for the day's work. Then, the rest is repeat stuff. Now, that is good to a degree, but because of the way it is a few problems here and there, they have a difficult time with learning new topics with TT. They seem to forget it because they didn't

work with the topic for long enough for it to really stick. TT has been great for review, though. But, eventually there is new material that needs to be learned.

Does that make sense?

So, I was hoping that BJU w/ DVD would be a good answer to our problem. I just want to be sure that he is solid on the basics before getting into Algebra type stuff. Their 7th grade course is supposed to solidify the basics, right?

I've been wondering about the same thing with my dd. For this year I'm just letting it pan out and seeing what happens. But I totally get what you're saying, and yes BJU will be the total opposite of that. I actually really like BJU math. If you do it for a year and don't like it, no harm, go to something else. It's just very solid, good, normal math. It's not going to lock you into some progression or leave you behind or anything.

So you decide in July? Whew, probably feels like forever! You should just go ahead and decide and free yourself mentally. :) Seriously, it's a fine decision. The only real detractor is time. It's great math and a good decision if that's what you think you want.

Yes, the gr 7 is going to review basic math but kicking it up several notches, bringing in pre-algebra concepts. It's a great option for a student who doesn't need to go into their (very rigorous) pre-algebra and needs some more good basic math time. He's going to come out of it very solid on fractions, etc. And yes, it's going to be the total opposite of TT. He's going to spend enough time on the concept practicing and doing exercises that it really sinks in. :)

Do you think we should do BJU Math 6 this year? I am concerned about how difficult Fundamentals may be. Did you use the DVDs with Fundamentals? I was hoping that Mr. Harmon's teaching would be the thing that would make that level doable. This is such a hard decision to me. I know I want to do BJU, but the level for this particular child is hard to pick! He is an older 7th grader also, so that weighs into it to me also.

Shari, what would you do? BJU Math 6 or Fundamentals? (both will be with DVD)

Do you think we should do BJU Math 6 this year? I am concerned about how difficult Fundamentals may be. Did you use the DVDs with Fundamentals? I was hoping that Mr. Harmon's teaching would be the thing that would make that level doable. This is such a hard decision to me. I know I want to do BJU, but the level for this particular child is hard to pick! He is an older 7th grader also, so that weighs into it to me also.

Shari, what would you do? BJU Math 6 or Fundamentals? (both will be with DVD)

I wouldn't put him a grade back for this. He might have to spend some extra time the first few weeks and really suck up, but he's probably going to be fine. My dd was in 6th grade doing the new edition 7. She got whomped, just like what happened with Shari, because we were going old edition 6 to new edition 7 and with a younger dc to boot. You get an older, more mature dc, a dc with no attention issues or processing speed issues who can sit and do those problem sets, and he's going to be fine. The materials still start at the beginning and work to bring kids up to speed. They know they have to accommodate kids coming from other schools and they do that.

BTW, does BJU have their Vacation Stations workbooks for grade 6? You'd be really, really smart to get those ordered and start on them. They would make this transition a LOT easier.

Edited by OhElizabeth

Thank you, OhElizabeth and Shari. Your input has been invaluable. My gut feeling is to put him in the Fundamentals class.

I really like the idea of getting the Vacation Station books. I'm going to talk to my dh about it. He may feel it's too much money by the time we buy 5 of them. Aren't they about $15? So, that would be $75. We'll see what he says.

The only thing about the Vac. Station books is that we had a strange year and won't be finished until the end of June. Then, we take July off and start back in August. So, I'm not sure we would have *time* to do them. I really like the idea, though. Do you still think it would be worth it to get them? I guess we could work on them in August and then start the actual curriculum in Sept.

What d'ya think?

Well by the time you sell off some of your other stuff, you're going to have plenty of money to get the vacation station books. If you do just the *math* from them and go ahead and get started, it should just be a few minutes a day. They can probably manage that on top of their regular stuff. It will be just enough to transition them nicely.

What you might do is order just the books for the oldest kids, which should make enough for a free shipping coupon code from CBD. Then see what you think of those and decide on the youngers.

The problem my kids seem to have with TT is that they introduce a new concept and then give only a few problems on that topic for the day's work. Then, the rest is repeat stuff. Now, that is good to a degree, but because of the way it is a few problems here and there, they have a difficult time with learning new topics with TT. They seem to forget it because they didn't

work with the topic for long enough for it to really stick. TT has been great for review, though. But, eventually there is new material that needs to be learned.

Does that make sense?

Yes, makes perfect sense. My DD12 has the EXACT same experience with TT. My DD15 does fine with it and has used TT successfully with good PSAT scores for math (90ish percentile as a 9th grader compared to 10th graders).

[FWIW, there was a big jump from BJU Math 6 (the old edition) to Fundamentals (new edition) too. I haven't seen the new Math 6 (just released this spring) but in general BJU is making major, big time steps up in their new editions. They are very, very challenging books.]

Since TT was not a good fit for DD12, we switched to BJU and used BJU 5 for 5th grade and the OLD edition of BJU 7 (Math Fundamentals) for 6th grade. There's not much difference between BJU 5 and BJU 6 math, and since DD had a good grasp on the basics we jumped up to Math Fundamentals. However, the newest edition was too big of a jump, it's much more intense than the previous edition. We had a great year with Math Fundamentals on our own this year.

Comparing TT6 and the old Fundamentals, they cover the same topics. So the newer edition of BJU Fundamentals might be just the right thing for your DS.

Amtmcm, thank you for your thoughts. It has reinforced my gut feeling about placing him in Fundamentals. That is a very good thing! :)

Shari, thank you so much for sharing your experiences with BJU. Yes, I have been researching this all for *quite* a while! I am so ready to make a decision and be done with it. I am almost there!

I have two 3rd graders, though, so it will be more in the $75 range for the Vacation Station workbooks. Do you know where I could find one of those CBD coupons? That could help some. Free shipping would probably make a difference to dear hubby! ;)

I have 2 dc that are just completing BJU Math 6 (the old edition) and will be going into Mr. Harmon's new edition Fundamentals of Math 7 next year. Thanks for the tip about the Vacation Stations. I will check those out when I go to our homeschool convention in a couple of weeks! :D

Years ago, after my dd finished the new edition Math 3, I was able to skip right over the old edition Math 4 and go to old edition 5 (and then 6 this year)... I wonder what will happen now??? Hopefully, they'll both transition okay, but I'm starting to wonder just how long all these grade 7 BJU classes are going to take!!!

Brenda

I have 2 dc that are just completing BJU Math 6 (the old edition) and will be going into Mr. Harmon's new edition Fundamentals of Math 7 next year. Thanks for the tip about the Vacation Stations. I will check those out when I go to our homeschool convention in a couple of weeks! :D

Years ago, after my dd finished the new edition Math 3, I was able to skip right over the old edition Math 4 and go to old edition 5 (and then 6 this year)... I wonder what will happen now??? Hopefully, they'll both transition okay, but I'm starting to wonder just how long all these grade 7 BJU classes are going to take!!!

Brenda

OhElizabeth...

It looks like the Vacation Station 7 was published in 2008 and Fundamentals in Math 7 in 2009. I don't think I can follow through with your suggestion, then, can I? Or would you still recommend I do this?

Thanks!

Brenda

Well, I went to a BJU Solutions meeting yesterday and ordered all my stuff.

I took the TT6 text my son has been using this year and spent some time really looking at the difference in the depth of the topics covered in their 6th grade math vs. TT6. I was pretty amazed. Where TT6 would barely touch, their text would spend an entire chapter expounding on the topic! No way could my ds have gone into Fundamentals...he would have been shell shocked. So, I don't really like the number on the book, but I have to meet him where he is. We went for BJU6. Bless his heart, he said, "Whatever you think, Mom. I'm willing to try it." So, we're going to try it.

The one thing the rep suggested that I decided to do is to use the Math 6 *new* text for their homework problems. That way, they would be more used to a format closer to the Fundamentals text and feel more ready for that. So, they'll use the old text for the DVD classtime; then use the new one for homework. I'm happy with that.

It's good I got to show my ds the difference between TT & the BJU same grade level text. I think he understood for the first time what I mean when I say that the number on the book doesn't matter...it's the material covered within the book.

Thanks, everyone, for all your thoughts on the matter. It is always so helpful. :)

Well I'm so glad you got it sorted out! Sounds like a plan! And just so you know, it's not just TT6 to BJU new 7 that would leave him shell-shocked. So would BJU6 *old* to BJU7 *new*. So the rep was VERY wise to advise you to use the new edition text. :)

I don't really like the number on the book, but I have to meet him where he is. We went for BJU6. Bless his heart, he said, "Whatever you think, Mom. I'm willing to try it." So, we're going to try it.

It's good I got to show my ds the difference between TT & the BJU same grade level text. I think he understood for the first time what I mean when I say that the number on the book doesn't matter...it's the material covered within the book.

Put a cover on the book ;) he will forget about the number when the material is right for him.

Sounds like a kid with a great attitude, good job!:001_smile:

Nothing so good as what you get at a Solutions meeting I'm sure, but at least free shipping or similar.

Did you know that you can always get free shipping on ANY size BJU order from a Homeworks consultant? Please feel free to pm me if you have any questions about that.