Menu

Bicycle repair

DS8 has decided he wants to learn how to repair bicycles and says he wants to have a job doing it before he is 10. He has been taking apart broken bikes all week learning how to put them back together but that doesn't teach him things like brakes, or changing the tire tube etc. I am not good with that sort of thing. There is no bicycle repair places within a 1 hour radius and so far he has a waiting list of "clients" if he gets good at it, but no place to go and learn how to do this. Any recommendations? If you are not mechanically inclined how do you help teach your dc how to do repairs etc

If you wanted to surprise your dc with a "workshop" to learn this in, what tools and supplies would you include?

There are quite a few good bike repair books out there, including fully illustrated ones which might give him enough info on things that he hasn't figured out already, especially if he is mechanically inclined. Youtube and WikiHow can be good resources as well. I've never done it as a job, but I have always fixed my own bikes. Bike repair is not overly complicated, especially since the majority of common problems are pretty easy to fix (brake alignment, flat tires, etc.)

The good news about a workshop is that bike repair doesn't involve very many specialty tools. A repair stand would be a good thing to have, and an air compressor of some kind (though he could get by with a manual pump, I'm sure). He'd need some regular tools like wrenches and screwdrivers, and a couple of specialty things (there's a little tool to change tire tubes, for example). Oil, spare tire tubes, tire patches, etc would be important.

He could do a lot of basic repairs with very little equipment. Changing a tire tube involves one small tool, and a fresh tube, for example. Fixing brakes, tightening a loose chain, fixing crooked or wobbly handlebars, replacing handles or seats, etc can all be done with basic screwdrivers and wrenches.

Here are some resources that Mr.Google found:

BicycleTutor.com

ParkTool.com

Bikewebsite.com

:hurray: to your son for working on this goal.

Best wishes.

Those look awesome. Going to check them out and add them to my favorites for him. He is at gramma's for the weekend so hoping to have a bunch of resources ready for him, and a section of the garage turned into a workshop space for him when he gets back.