Menu

I See Sam & ASD/PDD-NOS - WWYD

My youngest (the only one of mine who is NOT Aspie) HATED the switch from animals to people. She read through set 4, but threatened a closed-mouth strike if I bought set 5.

Funnix level 2 worked nicely after I See Sam set 4. It isn't all animal stories, but there are a lot of them. It's very inexpensive now at just $38 for the computer program and $10 for the storybook.

After Funnix, my dd really liked Animal Ark Pets. You have to make sure to get the series that says Animal Ark Pets, not just Aniimal Ark. The Pets series is written at 3rd grade level and the animal always lives. In the regular Animal Ark series, the animal sometimes dies and it's at 4th grade reading level.

Most of the Hooked on Phonics books feature animal characters. I'm not familiar with I See Sam so I'm not sure which level of HOP corresponds with ISS 5, however.

Yup, Adrian really liked their books when we did HOP. We have the older K-2 package since Adrian was 4. The books after K are colorful and as Crimson Wife said they include a lot of animal characters, something Adrian really liked too. I know they will be a hit with Malcolm also.

I don't know how they correspond to the I See Sam books either, but if the I See Sam books have grade levels, then the Yellow book is K, the Orange and Red books are grade 1, and the green and blue books are grade 2. Not that grade levels say much though :tongue_smilie:. I hope the below lists will help a bit more.

Yellow covers the following word families:

at, an, ap, ag, ad, ig, id, it, in, ip, at this point they add a lesson on plurals (-s), ox, ot, op, og, ob, ug, un, ub, ut, up, ed, et, en, eg, el, ck. This is all as ending sounds.

Orange covers:

ch, th (as in thin), sh, wh, th (as in that), sm, sn, sp, sl, sc, sk, sw, st, fl, gl, cl, bl, pl, gr, fr, br, cr, pr, dr, qu, tr. This is as beginning sounds.

Red covers:

ch, tch, sh, th, ng, mp, nd, nt, nk, st, sp, sk, ft, lk, lt, ing, er, ly, es, ed (with all its sounds, ed/ d/ t). This is as ending sounds.

Green covers:

a (long sound as in cane), i (long sound as in bite), o (long sound as in hope), u (long sounds as in cute), e (long sound as in Steve), ee, ea (as in meat), ow (as in snow), oa (as in coach), ai, ay, y (as in cry), y (as in puppy), ar, er, ir, ur, or, ore, eer, ear, are, air, all. These are middle or ending sounds.

Blue covers:

oy, oi, ou, ow (as in cow), au (as in haul), aw, oo (as in zoo), oo (as in book), igh, ind, shr, str, scr, spr, spl, squ, kn, wr, c (as in cent), g as in (gem). These consist of beginning, middle and ending sounds.