Menu

Should I do Shurley? or go with Easy Grammar, Growing w/ Grammar?

ShelzNH

I need an easy but thorough grammar program for my ds 8. he did FLL in first grade but then did ZERO grammar last year. I have so many teacher intensive programs I need something that he can do with little help from me. The two I have found so far are GWG AND EG which is best? Is there another which is better? I am feeling a tad guilty that I have SHurley Grammar already here (levels 1 & 3) but looking at them just makes me feel overwhelmed. Am I shorting my kid by not doing a more teacher intensive program? Or are some of these easier ones just as good? Please be honest...thanks!

I haven't used the other programs (GWG and EG), but if you want to make Shurley more manageable, there's a student practice book (inexpensive) that has the sentences for each lesson already typed out. That's what we use and we skip EVERYTHING else. Takes us 5-10 minutes to mark those 3 sentences and we're done. At this age they really don't need a lot of grammar, kwim? So it's something without being overmuch. If you're doing a writing program like Writing Tales that also brings in grammar, then it's plenty.

I'd return the SG1, but that's just me. It's just too much money for too little content or for what little is needed for that age.

Easy Grammar looks great to me, but I haven't tried it yet. My dd7 did GWG 1 & 2 in 1st & 2nd grade. We are currently using Shurley 3. I LOVE Shurley English, but it is incredibly teacher-intensive. Since you're using RS and SWR, I can see where you would feel overwhelmed thumbing through the Shurley book. I like OhElizabeth's suggestion of just using the student workbook to condense Shurley if you're time-crunched. Especially since you already own it.

However, if you truly want to hand ds a workbook that he can do independently, then GWG would be my recommendation. It does a good job of laying a solid foundation in grammar and is written to the student.

I am curious though... OhE: do you really just mark the workbook sentences? No memorizing jingles? Do you need the teacher's manual? Or can you just use the student workbook?

• 16 years later...