Menu

War of 1812 book reccommendations

We are looking for more on the War of 1812.

Can you suggest some good living books, including historical fiction

on this event? We have already read the Once on this Island Series. It would be for 9th grade readers. And I'd welcome anthing for the 4th grade level too.

Thanks!

Kimberly

It's between 4th and 9th grade level, but my son really loved The Bully Boys, by Eric Walters. It's a fictional account of a 14-year-old Canadian farm boy who gets dragged into the war and rides with the James FitzGibbon and his "Bully Boys".

Thanks everbody for the great ideas! I checked out the Horton song on You Tube and they perpformed it on the Ed Sullivan show. It was QUITE the perfromance and we all had a good laugh. Thanks too for the book reccs. We did already read the Whelan trilogy, but I had not heard of the others.

Thanks all!

I haven't read this yet, but it was recommended a few years ago!

"Clear for Action" by Stephen Meader is set during the War of 1812. I am not sure if you can easily obtain this book by itself. It does come in a book with four stories by this author. The "mega book" is called "Cleared for Action".

Another (excellent) book is "Downright Dency" by Caroline Dale Snedeker. It is set right before the War of 1812.

I forgot to include my favorite book from the War of 1812 in my previous post:

"The Star-Spangled Banner" by Peter Spier. It is a picture book, but it is absolutely wonderful for any age! Not only for the song lyrics - the pictures are captivating, and the information on the War itself is informative.

I forgot to include my favorite book from the War of 1812 in my previous post:

"The Star-Spangled Banner" by Peter Spier. It is a picture book, but it is absolutely wonderful for any age! Not only for the song lyrics - the pictures are captivating, and the information on the War itself is informative.

:iagree::iagree: great book!