Menu

Chili cook off recipe needed....help!

Ds is working really hard to fundraise $2500 for a trip to Haiti this summer. His church is having a Chili Cookoff for a fundraiser.

On Sunday, a fellow church member came up to ds and gave him the entry blank, the entry fee, and told him that the had 2 spices that ds should use.(Surprise!) LOL I guess ds entered the chili cook off! OY! He can cook a little, but nothing like a big ole' pot of chili before. Ds is in leadership at the church, an avid volunteer and is an "I'll do it" type person, so it doesn't suprise me that he said "sure! I'll enter!".

Now we need to put together a pot-0-chili. :001_rolleyes:

When I make chili, I start with a pot and start adding things. I don't have a recipe and I won't be here when ds is cooking so he really needs a recipe to follow.

Any suggestions?

I use a can of tomato juice, salt, garlic, and red pepper. Then I add about 1/2 lb. ground beef (cooked). I use 4 different types of beans- 1 can red, 1 can white or navy, 1 can pinto and 1 can black beans. Call it calico chili. ;) If you want to kick it up a notch, add salsa or picante sauce to taste. If you want more chunks (my kids don't:glare:) add a can of diced/stewed tomatoes.

I use

ground beef (1 lb)

ground turkey (1 lb)

1 onion

peppers (I usually use 3-4 different kinds, I like bell peppers, jalapenos, serrano, New Mexico chilis and poblano) I would say 2 bell peppers and 2 each of the rest

Beef stock (1 box would be adequate)

beans, I like 2-3 different kinds. I like using different colors like white, black and kidney (1 can of each)

Diced tomatoes (I use a big can)

tomato sauce (a 16 ounce can)

garlic (3-4 cloves)

cumin (a tablespoon??)

chili powder (maybe 1 tablespoon?)

I usually add some very finely chopped carrots and celery as well (2 carrots 2 stalks celery)

Edited by Sis

I love, love, LOVE DH's chili!!! It's unique too!

6-7 strips of bacon

1-2Tbsp minced garlic

1lb of ground beef

1 medium red onion

1 pkg sliced mushrooms

1 can corn (drained)

2 cans kidney beans (drained)

2 cans black beans (drained)

2 cans chili beans

1 can tomato sauce

1 can diced tomatoes

1 green pepper (diced)

Fry bacon in large stock pot. Once crispy add onions and ground beef. Cook through. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 min.

One could add spices to make it spicy, but we love it as is.