Menu

Callirobics vs "Train the Brain to Pay Attention the Write Way"

I'm needing a program to work on handwriting remediation for a nearly teen.

These are the two programs I've found that seem the most likely to target the issues we're working on.

Has anyone used either? Both? Able to offer an opinion or a comparison?

I'm frustrated at how little information the "Train the Brain" programs has on its website.

Thanks!

We tried Callirobics on the advice of our OT, but dd found it very hard going. The music is supposed to help them organize the movements I guess, but for her it was just a huge sensory distraction. We finally gave up. I still have it as one of those things to try again later if the sensory chills down enough, oh well. Sorry to be dismal, but that was our experience. Now I'm trying Fix It Write (Barchowsky). Actually I haven't gotten past the first section where she tells you to consider changing your grip. I'm working on getting dd to comply. For her it makes a pretty dramatic change simply changing her grip, which I never would have anticipated.

We used Callirobics and enjoyed it. The excercises are shapes found in letters, but they are artistic in their own way because form patterns of loops and vvvvvvv MMMMMM type of things (I can't demonstrate many on a computer keyboard so I hope that gives you an idea.) The same year that we used Callirobics, I also did a lot of researching on older methods of handwriting instruction; Callirobics seems like a modern twist on traditional instruction methods, including the use of music to enhance rhythm. The music was pleasant and enjoyable. We finished the program and then repeated it again by doing the writing exercises on sheets.

I looked at Retrain the Brain and from what I could see, the two programs looked similar. And honestly, with all the talk of vision therapy here on this board, I'll say that handwriting exercises like Callirobics may also provide some visual benefits throuhg enhanced with eye-hand coordination.