Menu

Can you talk to me about notebooking?

fourcatmom

I am really wanting to plan for more notebooking opportunities next year but I am not really sure how to incorporate them yet. I have done some this year but they didn't really turn out how I had hoped.

What subjects do you use notebooks with?

Can you share pictures with me?

Do you/how do you cover your notebooks?

I am also specifically interested in doing some nature journaling next year. Can you share any ideas/suggestions for that?

Thanks!

I am really wanting to plan for more notebooking opportunities next year but I am not really sure how to incorporate them yet. I have done some this year but they didn't really turn out how I had hoped.

What subjects do you use notebooks with?

Can you share pictures with me?

Do you/how do you cover your notebooks?

I am also specifically interested in doing some nature journaling next year. Can you share any ideas/suggestions for that?

Thanks!

We do History, Science, and Math. Typically a narration page will consist of a narration and a picture of some sort(either hand drawn, copied, or a picture). Other types of pages that go into the notebook are maps, graphs, lists, science experiment pages, drawings, pictures of projects with an explanation, poems, book summaries, and anything else we do for the class.

I am not sure what you mean by "cover" the notebooks. The notebooks or kept in a binder until the end of year and then I have them spiral bound. In the past I have used a 3 prong folder. The actual cover of the final notebook will have a title, year and the signature of the child, it will also have picture(s) of the subject.

For our nature journal is varies depending on our nature walk goal. Some nature walks we will look for specific thinks (like wild flowers, seeds, animal prints, etc) on these walks we draw the different samples we find. Next to the picture we label it and the page gets a title and date and where we were. Sometimes it gets more like weather, who went hiking, or if something happened we want to journal. If the hike just was a general hike we will end the hike with drawing something we saw and a description. Over the years we have made ongoing subject pages :example would be our ongoing mushroom page. Every time we see a new mushroom we draw it on the 2 page spread. We have also kept a running journal page for a tree, a scene at the park, and our compost pile. Other things we put in our nature journal is weather, poems, pressed leaves/flowers, rubbings, pictures of fossils and rocks.

Edited by Down_the_Rabbit_Hole

You should look at some of the CM methods for notebooking too. I am way behind on my blog, but I have given some examples for art and scientist notebooking, although we more or less smash and keep it very loose.

Adding lapbook elements to your notebooks is fun. A cheap pack of cardstock and you are on your way to what is more often referred to as interactive notebooking.

we enjoy notebooking. our books are usually composition books & we just write and glue things in it. here's a sample from my daughter's science notebook in kindergarten. i could take pictures of our current notebooks if you wanted, but honestly, they haven't changed too much for us, other than the content and more age appropriate format (and my daughter is 10 now like your's). it's very relaxed here and i don't focus on making it look like a lapbook or anything.

Here are some pics of my dd's ballet notebook that she is putting together now. It is a unit study so there are history pages, art, music, and poetry pages.

We just used a spiral bound art sketch book from Wal-Mart.

Here are some pics of my dd's ballet notebook that she is putting together now. It is a unit study so there are history pages, art, music, and poetry pages.

We just used a spiral bound art sketch book from Wal-Mart.

[ATTACH]8717[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]8718[/ATTACH]

Those are awesome! Thank you. I am not going to try and incorporate this now but want to try and have the right materials available so when we start again, we can incoporate this into our new routine. I like the different options for books.

Does anyone use the Notebooking pages, is it worth the money. It's a lot of printing and I like the idea of the book being creative, but I can see where sometimes you would want more then that as well. Right now they are offering membership for $52 (or something like that).

Thanks again!

Those are awesome! Thank you. I am not going to try and incorporate this now but want to try and have the right materials available so when we start again, we can incoporate this into our new routine. I like the different options for books.

Does anyone use the Notebooking pages, is it worth the money. It's a lot of printing and I like the idea of the book being creative, but I can see where sometimes you would want more then that as well. Right now they are offering membership for $52 (or something like that).

Thanks again!

I found most of our notebooking pages for free from homeschool share.

But basically you find pictures or clip art from the internet (or have your children draw the topic) to decorate the page. I draw some lines with a ruler and a black fine tip Sharpie after my dd has decided on her layout.

Then we fill it in. She can add other things to her book if she wants later. In my mind it's kind of like scrapbooking for school subjects and topics.