Menu

2 years of Latin Done; 1 more or 2 of Modern Lang?

I know the answer will depend on which college etc. But we haven't had the time to look at which college yet (this summer, I promise!!!).

Anyway, DS is dyslexic and has problems with spelling in English. We ditched French on Rosetta stone when he was a few years younger - it was a complete nightmare for him to process the sounds and the spelling - all the greatest issues he was dealing with in his own language at that time. Because we figured he was going to head towards a naturalist career/life sciences etc, we figured Latin might be more graspable and useful to him. We struggled with that for a few years too, but finally he is about to finish Veritas Press online Latin II this year, having completed Wheelocks Latin text already!!! So excited and proud about that, and he has received A's all year. Also, he had to jump into the text halfway since he did not do their Latin I but tested into II after doing part of the first Henle. So very proud!:hurray:

But now we are debating about whether to let him do another year of Latin or do 2 more of a modern language. I know some colleges want a modern even if you have Latin or greek. His state requires either 3 years of the same language, or 2+2 of different languages for their honors diploma. So, were following that guide.

I'm kind of voting for 2 years of Rosetta French or Spanish at a gentle pace, but at the same time, it would be nice to be done with language by 12th grade so that he can do some dual credit in math and/or science at a local college/CC etc.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I'll vote for just staying with Latin, given the dyslexia and all, changing language gears is harder for him than for other kids. He's doing well with Latin, and didn't do well with Rosetta Stone before. Don't mess with success.

Even if some colleges don't like Latin, there will be plenty of others which either don't have a foreign language requirement or which will accept the Latin.

--Janet