Menu

Online chemistry course recommendations?? HELP!

Okay, going a little nuts here.

I'm looking for an online course provider like Scholars Online, but for chemistry. (I've loved Scholars Online's lit, but I've heard uneven reviews about the science).

Any suggestions??? I'm tearing my hair out here.

How about The Potter's School? My dd has taken Physical Science and, currently, Biology there, and she'll be taking Chemistry next year! http://www.pottersschool.org/h?id=913474#science

How about The Potter's School? My dd has taken Physical Science and, currently, Biology there, and she'll be taking Chemistry next year! http://www.pottersschool.org/h?id=913474#science

I'm not sure how to ask this without offending you or others, but how Christian/religious is the instruction? We are not particularly religious, and to be honest, science is (obviously) one of those sticking-points. We do believe in the validity of evolutionary theory, for instance. I understand not every religiously-affiliated provider will stress a religious worldview -- Scholars Online, for example, is religiously-oriented but doesn't expect uniform adherence to one religious viewpoint or outlook from its students -- but I know much less about TPS.

I hope you're not offended by the question, and I appreciate your answer.

TPS is Christian, but they focus on beliefs that are widely accepted for Christians, instead of a particular denomination. We appreciate that and their comittment to strong academics. They do use Apologia science texts as the basis for their science classes (although they write their own tests, have high standards for formal lab reports, etc.) Your best bet would be to get your hands on an Apologia Chemistry text. Perhaps a local Mardel store would carry it?

TPS is Christian, but they focus on beliefs that are widely accepted for Christians, instead of a particular denomination. We appreciate that and their comittment to strong academics. They do use Apologia science texts as the basis for their science classes (although they write their own tests, have high standards for formal lab reports, etc.) Your best bet would be to get your hands on an Apologia Chemistry text. Perhaps a local Mardel store would carry it?

I've heard varying reports about Apologia's rigor, but I haven't had any experience with them. Folks? Is this the case?

There aren't many secular online course providers. Landry Academy has a Chemistry course which uses Spectrum Chemistry. Veritas Press offers a number of classes and uses Apologia. They are both Christian based schools but not sure how much influence this has on the actual class presentation.

Thinkwell and GBP's Chemistry are secular and have videos but no teacher/student interaction.

ds took VP's Organic Chemistry class which uses a college text. Curriculum was secular.

There aren't many secular online course providers. Landry Academy has a Chemistry course which uses Spectrum Chemistry. Veritas Press offers a number of classes and uses Apologia. They are both Christian based schools but not sure how much influence this has on the actual class presentation.

Thinkwell and GBP's Chemistry are secular and have videos but no teacher/student interaction.

If you believe in evolutionary theory, I don't recommend Apologia. You really had better grab a copy before committing to a course using it. The general science and biology books clearly dispute evolution in addition to being filled with other religious references. Brownie