Menu

Books for 8 yr old who is a good, but reluctant, reader?

Dmmetler

One of my friends has an 8 yr old daughter who recently tested at a GLE 10.8 on reading comprehension on the SAT-10, but absolutely REFUSES to read anything beyond Junie B. Jones and Berenstein Bears. She says that Magic Treehouse are "too hard". She enjoys listening to books read aloud and books on tape-the mother and daughter have read several of the Anne of Green Gables series, for example.

The mother plans to get the girl a kindle as an end of school present (in hopes that not seeing the size of the book and being able to adjust print, and, simply, the "cool" factor) will encourage her to read over the summer (and also plans to require a quiet reading time in the afternoon and participate in several reading incentive programs), and wants suggestions on what books to load.

My DD is more at the other end (where I'm telling her to put the book down and go play outside, or turn off the light and go to bed), so I don't feel like I have a lot of good suggestions for the mom-but I'm hoping someone here does!

Struggled here with my DD. Same story. Also eight. We were talked to about text size. Kindle really does help. However, so did just KEEP exposing her to other chapter books. Last summer she read her FIRST chapter book. This year she has read several a month. Still not into reading as much as the rest of us, but at least she has found her passion for reading.

So, again. YES adjustable text size on eReader. Keep going to the library to be other books. I see she is already reading Junie B, but the statement still bares repeating, at this point do not look down at ANY reading. Applaud all reading!

I see nothing wrong with her wanting to read the Junie B. books. :) I say let her keep at them. My dd started out like this and now at 12 she loves to read and reads a wide variety of books. One thing I did to encourage more reading alone was extend bedtime if and only if they were in their bed reading quietly. At first it was a half hour, then an hour. Now I don't check on them at all. They do well with getting enough sleep on their own and if they are reading quietly in their room at night I let them.

My daughter is more like this too, and at being a freshly turned 8 yr old, she would rather be reading an Arthur picture book, but she's able to read the Little House books aloud just fine to me for assigned reading. I let her keep her Junie B books that she has been reading since Kindergarten on her won, but I frequently expose her to other books trying to get her interest. Ive tried Boxcar children to no avail and American Girl books, but she wasnt budging. She finally caught sight of a Ramona the Pest book which she is enjoying and also some Judy Blume books too. The fairy books are likable too. I think its good to let them read what they want for free reading, but to also assign reading that is on their reading level.

I would find out what really interests her. Does she like books about friendship or does she like books where animals talk? Does she like a certain kind of animal--dogs, cats, horses? Once you know what interests her then you can help steer things in that direction. My daughter was a reluctant reader too and she was stuck on picture books for a LONG time. She was capable of reading chapter books but she wasn't comfortable doing it. So I figured out what she enjoyed reading and then I kept bringing home books a little above her comfort level. When she would ask me to read them to her I would have her read them to me for a bit or I would tell her that she could read them to herself or to her dog. She would complain about the fact that there were too many words on the page, not enough pictures, etc but her curiosity did get the best of her in the end. I also noticed that she would reread the books we read together to herself or to her dog. So for her, I really do believe it was about comfort level.

Another idea, which I also implemented, was to find an author who writes different levels of books. Jessie Haas comes to mind. She writes about horses (a topic my daughter loves). On her website she has listed her books according to grade levels and even has what she calls "transitional chapter books". I love that concept. Anyways find an author who writes book on the topics that interest her and start with at the level she feels comfortable with and then work your way up. The fact that she knows the author and the author's style may make her feel comfortable enough to move to the next level.

Above all, be gentle.

I know this is totally old school of me to mention, but what about Nancy Drew? I read them all when I was in first grade, so they cannot be too much harder than Junie B. I developed a life-long love of mysteries from it. Mysteries are still my favorite books to read.

For me, I'm a story person, I just want to know what happens NEXT! That's what keeps me reading. Maybe she isn't seeing the trade-off- no offense to anyone, but I personally find most of the Magic Tree House stories a bit contrived. Like the authors think, "Hey, I need to write a book using these words with this level of reading skill? What can I make up to fit this?" Rather than a good story that begins first and foremost being a good story and then is written at the proper reading level. Does that make sense? I think the Junie B and Nancy Drew books fit the second way very well.

And just warn the mom to try to control the Internet access on the Kindle or the girl may spend all her times on games and apps. Learned that the hard way.... with myself! ;)

At that age, we let DSs read what they chose for free reading to keep alive a love of reading. (And for young readers, it's good to get lots of reading in, and at a level that lets them experience great success and confidence!)

But every day, we also did about 15 minutes of together reading, done aloud, reading "popcorn style" ("you read a page, I read a page"). I had us do books that were at and slightly above their reading level to help them "stretch". Doing the reading together helps them not become exhausted, and also helps build confidence in trying works that are longer and harder.

Fun summer read books the mom could do with her DD:

- Land of Oz; Ozma of Oz (Baum)

- Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle series (Betty MacDonald)

- The Borrowers (series) (Norton)

- Charlie & the Chocolate Factory; Great Glass Elevator (Dahl)

- Pippi Longstockings; Pippi in the South Seas (Astrid)

- The Whipping Boy (Fleischman)

- By the Great Horn Spoon (Fleischman)

- Hitty, Her First Hundred Years (Field) -- the adventures of a doll

- The Toothpaste Millionaire (Merrill)

- Henry Huggins (series) (McCleary)

- Understood Betsy (Fisher)

- In the Year of the Boar and Jackie Robinson (Lord)

- Caddie Woodlawn (Brink) -- pioneer times

- Roman mystery series (Lawrence) -- ancient Roman girl solves mysteries

- Naya Nuki: The Shoshone Girl Who Ran (Thomasa) -- friend of Sacajawea who escapes captivity

- Behind Rebel Lines (Reit) -- teen girl disguised as a boy / Union spy in Civil War

- Chucaro: Wild Pony of the Pampa (Kalney)

- Daughter of the Mountains (Rankin)

- Trumpet of the Swan (White)

- The Mouse and the Motorcycle (McCleary)

- Ben and Me; Mr. Revere and I (Lawson)

- The Rescuers, Miss Bianca, The Turret, Miss Bianca in the Salt Mines, Miss Bianca in the Orient (Sharpe)

- Rabbit Hill (Lawson)

Sometimes it just takes a little patience, encouragement and handholding to get our DC to take the next step. :)

One last thing -- also consider having her eyes checked to rule out any vision problems or tracking issues. If she is having a hard time seeing / focusing / tracking she may not realize it, and that can make it hard, headache-inducing, and exhausting to try and read longer books with more type on a page. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.