Menu

Science - I hate it.

janainaz

Is there a way to make science fun?

I've used God's Design since DS12 was in the 1st grade. He's got a science-head, and it all clicks. At some point, I just mentally checked out, and he explains to ME how airplanes stay up in the air. He gets it - it's his 'thing'.

I have a 1st grader, and although I like God's Design for a spine, I hate using it alone. I do get library books, and my younger son always wants to know when we are done reading. He does not enjoy it, and I simply read the lessons to check it off my list. I have no zest or enthusiasm to make it fun.

Our local science center does offer classes on various topics. I'm ready to just sign him up, and let him have fun with it.

I hate experiments (I'm the Queen of Sabotage), we live in AZ - it's HOT!

My younger ds does NOT enjoy any type of coloring or craft. Coloring is like torture for him. As for experiments.... is there a book that offers easy-to-do experiments that actually TEACH something? I often feel that the experiments are just silly, but that might be because I simply hate science, at least being studied via textbook.

Thank you, that looks very interesting! I like the idea of the project materials being in a kit. I also watched a few of the videos (from the DVDs), and I enjoyed them!

We visit a local nature center fairly often. My kids get to do hands-on activities that teach something - it's just natural. I feel that science should be exploratory, but a book being used for science as a spine only, seems dry.

Thanks!

(responding to ZooKeeper - I have not been on in a while, and I can't remember how to respond directly... sorry)

Edited by janainaz

I have an 8 week insect study plan on my blog. You can take a look and see if this is how you might want to do science. In the younger years I really emphasize observation skills.

Good luck finding something that your family enjoys.

When I went to your site, I could not click on anything. Is there something more? We did study insects while we studied the animal kingdom. I like the idea of emphasizing observation skills - that sounds like fun. I'm willing to revisit areas we have previously studied, I just want to make it fun. I never thought I would say those words, but that's where I'm at!

Oops, ok, I got it. As much time as I spend on my computer, I am not computer savvy anymore! Thanks - checking it out!

Edited by janainaz

I just started Easy Classical Science, per someone's suggestion on this site, and I think you might like it. They just use DK's First Animal Encyclopedia as the "text." And an Evan Moore workbook as the activity guide. This is (2 weeks actual in, 3 weeks planning in) so far working well. It's very little reading (like 2-3 pages each of the first two weeks) and then the rest are log books, note-bookings, activities and experiments. I feel like the experiments are supplemental and easily modified, especially if you're already doing a lot at the nature center, you could probably find one that fits what you're studying. I don't really consider it a curriculum as much as a map. It just gives me topics and order and makes me feel our activities are a bit more purposeful and coherent. But it's not restrictive and I have found it easy to make our own.

You are not the only one. I just never get around to little silly "experiments," and my elementary-aged kids did not like textbooks because they were both dry and too simple. My kids have no desire to color diagrams in or make pretty posters. Instead, we do big scientific investigations every year, and they are fun and incredibly educational!

I have written extensively about this alternative way to teach science on this thread http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263107. Hope it gives you some ideas. In addition, I am currently writing up my 2nd grader's 10 week investigation here http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=361740 And you definitely don't have to do an investigation outside if the weather is not so great in your area. My kids have evaluated silly putty recipes, counted microscopic critters in microscopes, and fertilized plants, all as indoor investigations.

I have copied my first post of 20 from the bigger thread above.

X-post

I was a scientist in a previous life and this is how I do science for my kids:

I use the WTM rotation: biology, earth/space, chemistry, physics.

1) For 8 months we read some good library books, and watch good documentaries (3 times a week) on the subject.

2) We do an intensive 6 weeks science fair project once a year. The goal of this is to find a questions, a real question, one that neither you nor your kids know the answer to. Then, figure out how to answer it, and go do your experiments. Then write it up. Including methods, results (graphs), discussions (assumptions, what you learned etc). This takes 5-10 hours per week during the time period.

Pros to this method:

1. No running around organizing experiments every week which are actually just demonstrations, as we know what the answer will be. ( If the kids want to explore and be creative and have fun they can go outside and build a fort)

2. Having a real science experience, with true frustrations (there will be many, like a home-made kite that would not fly for a month - that takes problem solving), and a decent length of time.

3. Being able to discuss real scientific method problems. Like replication (yes you need >1 plant for each experiment on which type of fertilizer work better; yes, you need to be objective and not drop the silly putty from a higher chair when you think it should bounce higher etc).

4. Doing science that they will remember over the years. (my children can remember 5 years back worth of projects). oldest DS is 10.

I have found this method very effective, saves my sanity, and costs little while they are young.

Ruth in NZ

Edited by lewelma

I believe most science curricula treat experiments wrong. They demonstrate, not build knowledge. I have a 7th grader this year and his job is to read, discuss, demonstrate the original principle, and use the findings to create his own experiments. In other words, the kid has to think. Spoon-fed science is some of the worst out there. We've loved the Geology Rocks, Gismos & Gadgets, and Fizz, Bubble, Flash books that are full of simple experiments offering open-ended discussion and further study.

Science needs to be seen as something outside of a lab, too. We're slowly collecting the Science of Imagineering dvds put out by Disney. The principles demonstrated with amusement park rides gets my kid thinking creatively and looking for science around us.

We tie in science with history, too, so we can see how achievements in different cultures shaped them over time. This is the time for demonstrations. Milestones in Science is a great kit that is right at a 12yo's reading/ability level and slides right into the history cycle.

Science should be fun. It should be full of discovery and tinkering, not books and question/answers.

Elemental Science

It is fast and extremely simple. One experiment a week that is also fast and extremely simple using house hold items but has great impact. A typical day takes 10 minutes, maybe 15 if you do discussion or experiment.

I would also look at SL science. Even though I do not like the jumping around and the experiment that does not go with the weeks readings, it still has great books and fun experiments. It is easy to use and depending on the age of your dc, can be done by without you.

You did not mention if it can be Christian or not but if this does not matter to you then another option would be Apologia Elementary Science. These books are easy to read but very informative and have an experiment each chapter.

I am not a crafty person and do not like experiments at all. However, I would do them when necessary. Science is always one of the subjects that I neglected in the past but not this year. That is because we found something that we like. We are doing Nancy Larson Science this year and we all love it!!! I love the scripted and thorough lessons, not to mention all materials/kit that we need all in one box. It is definitely not cheap but there are so many quality components to this curriculum that I find the price so worth it. We will actually finish science in about a week...and my kids still remember many of the things we learnt a while back.

HTH.

Julia