Menu

CC calc 1 summer audit?

Beth in SW WA

Ds is finishing up college trig at his high school this semester. He is attending full-time cc in the fall with plans to audit calc 1 this summer at the cc to get his feet wet. He will take calc 1 at cc officially in the fall. If all goes well he will take calc 2 & 3 next year. We will pay for the audit. Running Start will cover the fall-spring classes.

He worked all this out himself at the cc, made advising appts and took care of the legwork thus far.

Do you see any red flags with this scenario? Am I missing anything? Could this audit come back to haunt him in any way? What do colleges think of an audit on a transcript?

If he does well, hopefully the prof can write a nice letter to accompany apps in the fall (since the grade won't appear).

Thanks in advance for any input! :bigear:

He is hoping/planning for EE/comp sci.

He worked all this out himself at the cc, made advising appts and took care of the legwork thus far.

BRAVO DS! Great when a kid shows this kind of initiative.

We started dual enrollment with auditing and it was really helpful as a transition step. There are different kinds of audit arrangements. Do you know if the professor will let him turn in the homework and take the tests and have them graded (informally)? That's something we were able to arrange and it made the audit experience a lot more productive.

I wasn't sure from your post. Were you saying that he will audit calc I this summer, take it for credit in the fall, and then take calc II in the spring?

Thank you for the feedback, Barbara.

He will do all assignments & exams and receive grades but they won't show up officially on any record.

He hopes to take:

Summer: calc 1 audit

Fall: calc 1, physics, English 101

Winter: calc 2, chemistry, English 201?

Spring: calc 3, economics, chemistry

Nothing is set in stone. He registers June 6 for summer & fall classes.

Just typing this out makes me twitch. I hope he's ready for this. :)

Thanks!!!

The audit is a great way to ease into it and give him the feel for what is expected. They were really helpful here - it is great to work through any bumps in the road before it is high stakes. As long as he's not going to object to repeating the material in the fall it seems like a great plan.

• 4 weeks later...

I may have spoke to soon. Ds wanted to take care of this on his own without our help so we took the hands-off approach. After staying awake until 3:30 to study for his college trig final, he tried to register this morning for Calc 1 for summer. He forgot to make an appointment with his math advisor at the cc to get an approval code so he could register for the class. Oops.

The helicopter mom in me is so frustrated. How could he have missed that important bit of information? Oh, well. He might be stuck with the evening session of calc 1. He'll be in class instead of out wakeboarding on the river with us.

I wanted to rant & rave but I attempted the love & logic line, "Bummer that you can't register. What's your solution to the problem?"

Thanks for letting me vent. This college transition will kill me or make me stronger. :tongue_smilie:

Any advice from BTDTs? :bigear:

Do I understand it correctly that he only wanted to audit the course in preparation for the fall?

In that case: if he did not get into the summer session at the time he wanted and can only have the evening slot, why not simply self-study? If he's going to take the course in the fall, I would not do the exact same course twice anyway, but try to get the material presented from different viewpoints.

Do I understand it correctly that he only wanted to audit the course in preparation for the fall?

In that case: if he did not get into the summer session at the time he wanted and can only have the evening slot, why not simply self-study? If he's going to take the course in the fall, I would not do the exact same course twice anyway, but try to get the material presented from different viewpoints.

Yes. He wanted a dry run to get familiar with cc. He knows he's not disciplined enough to self study. He wants to go to campus with a prof teaching it. He used his aops pre-calc book to help him in his college trig class. He said the problems are so much better than his college text. He will use his aops calc book also so he will learn it from different angles. He needs the accountability of an actual class.

Thanks, R!

If it's just familiarity with cc classes that he's looking for, he can do that with just about any class this summer. Maybe he could take a class in something he thinks he'd really enjoy, but won't have time for during the year. One thing to remember is that the summer classes move even faster than those during the fall and spring semesters.

As far as getting comfortable with calculus, I know you said he's not disciplined enough to self study, but honestly, he'll need to develop that trait quickly in order to succeed at cc. Yes with a class he'd be accountable to the professor for tests, but only some professors give credit for homework and it's just assumed that the student is doing what they need to do in order to learn the material. Each professor is different, but he would do well to learn how to make his own schedule, for self-study this summer, and stick to it. JMO

As far as getting into the Calc I class, it may not be too late to meet with his advisor and get approval. Many students drop out during the first week and a slot may open for him. He might also be able to request permission from the professor to enroll even though the class is "full".

I hope he has a great summer either way. :)

If it's just familiarity with cc classes that he's looking for' date=' he can do that with just about any class this summer. Maybe he could take a class in something he thinks he'd really enjoy,

I hope he has a great summer either way. :)[/quote']

Thanks! He is really excited about taking calc. He does a bunch of programming on his own so that will be an enjoyable diversion along w/ work and boating this summer.

He got his access code and is registered for summer & fall classes. It was quite a runaround today but he did it. :)