Menu

rod and Staff grammar/english users-question

pjssully

I have twin soon to be 5th graders and I am not sure if i should do R.S. english 4 or 5. We did bits of level 3-they know nouns, predicates and how to diagram this. But that is about all. They know about adjectives/adverbs and we covered pronouns but they woulndn't know it by name if asked. Any suggestions-don't want them to be bored but don't want to miss anything important by doing 5. FWIW they are very conscious of "grade level" like to be doing the "5th" book if they are in 5th grade.

thanks

jean

I have heard that the 5th grade book is where the program really steps up the intensity. It ia much thicker than 2-4 as well. I plan to take 2 years to complete it when we get there. In TWTM, I think it recommended to do the program a year behind anyway. Someone mentioned I. another thread to put stickers over the grade level. Don't tell thwm what they are doing, just do it.

The program is fairly repetitive from year to year. They will not miss anything by jumping a year as each book reviews the previous year and adds both new concepts as well as deeper, more detailed understanding on previously learned concepts.

It's fine to go straight to the 5th grade book. After the 5th grade book you might find skipping another book a little too difficult in terms of intensity and expectations, but it's fine to skip a lower level book.

In TWTM, I think it recommended to do the program a year behind anyway.

No, it recommends jumping in at grade level up through 5th grade (so yes, do the 5th grade book). After that, if you have an older child starting, you go back a bit. If you use it from 5th grade or earlier, you do it on grade level.

HOD is the one that uses it behind, as they take 2 years to do a level sometimes, and I think they even use R&S 2 in Bigger, which is aimed at 3rd graders? I personally don't recommend using 2 and 3 "behind grade level" with a typical child. I can't comment on the upper levels yet.