Menu

Conceptual Chemistry questions

Hi,

I'm looking into chemistry options for my rising 7th grader. I've seen Conceptual Chemistry mentioned a number of times. I'm looking for reviews of the book from those who have used it. In addition to knowing how well it worked for you, I have some other questions. Did you use the new 4th edition (it is quite expensive!)? Text or ebook? Did you use any of the supplements like the student workbook or lab manual?

Thanks so much for your help!

Angela

I haven't used it yet, but I'm using the 3rd edition next year with my 8th grader. If you email the author you can gain teacher access to the worksheets and tests online. These are 4th edition, but work fine if you adjust for the chapter numbers.

I'm going to do lots of the questions at the end of the chapter with my son and all the mathy problems. He'll do some of the hands-on stuff. For us, this is just laying the groundwork. He'll probably end up doing an AP level chemistry later on. Also, he'll be doing the Illustrated Guide to Home Chemistry Experiments as he gets a little older.

Conceptual Chemistry (by John Suchocki) is a college chemistry textbook for non-science college majors. While there are some students who have successfully used Conceptual Chemistry in middle school, it is more frequently used in high school. The chapters on atomic structure and molecular bonding may be fairly steep going; also, although the text is designed to be fairly non-mathy, the section on calculating moles requires some understanding of Algebra 1 concepts. Those who do use Conceptual Chemistry with a middle school student usually have a science-minded student who will also be taking an Advanced Chemistry course in high school, or as a college course for dual enrollment.

(NOTE: The high school edition of Conceptual Physics (by Paul Hewitt) is actually more simple than the Conceptual Physics, and much more frequently done in middle school than the Conceptual Chemistry.)

We used the 2nd edition hardback textbook of Conceptual Chemistry with our non-STEM major high school DS last year (grade 11). It was a much better fit for him than Apologia Biology had been. I had found a 2nd edition for about $35 used, which is why I went with that rather than the just-released 4th edition (which was over $150). There was no accompanying workbook or lab manual for the 2nd edition that I ever saw. We used various TOPS units as our accompanying labwork:

- TOPS #10 = Analysis (a total of 16 experiments, numbered #1-16)

- TOPS #11 = Oxidation (a total of 16 experiments, numbered #1-16)

- TOPS #12 = Solutions (a total of 28 experiments, numbered #1-28)

- TOPS #13 = Cohesion/Adhesion (a total of 24 experiments, numbered #1-24)

- TOPS #14 = Kinetic Model (a total of 24 experiments, numbered #1-24)

List of TOPS experiments to match up with Conceptual Chemistry, 2nd ed. (c. 2004):

- chapter 1 = Kinetic Model, experiments #1-13

- chapter 2 = Analysis, experiments #1-4, and #12 -- and -- Solutions, experiments #1-5

- chapter 3 = -----

- chapter 4 = -----

- chapter 5 = -----

- chapter 6 = Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #5 and #6

- chapter 7 = Solutions, experiments #14-28

- chapter 8 = Solutions, experiment #17 -- and -- Cohesion/Adhesion, experiments #1-12, #15, and #21-24

- chapter 9 = Analysis, experiments #5-8

- chapter 10 = Analysis, experiments #9-16

- chapter 11 = Solutions, experiments #10-13 -- and -- Oxidation, experiments #1-16

- chapter 12-19 = -----

With a little effort, I was able to match up the topics of the videos on the Conceptual Chemistry website (matched to the heavily revised 4th edition) with the different order of chapters/material in our 2nd edition. I used questions from the end-of-chapter review for quizzes/tests.

Here are some past threads about Conceptual Chemistry that may be of help:

- Conceptual Chemistry (is it actual high school level/rigorous enough for high school or not?)

- What is needed for Conceptual Chemistry?

- Has anyone seen a high school syllabus for Conceptual Chemistry?

Hope that got you started on answers to your questions. I suggest also asking on the high school Board, since Conceptual Chemistry is most frequently used and/or discussed there rather than on the middle school Board. :) BEST of luck, whatever you go with! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Edited by Lori D.

SaDonna, I am planning to use conceptual chem in high school. This year (7th grade) we are going to be using the free ACS chemistry course.

Here is my plan for the next couple years so you can see where I am headed:

7th Chemistry with ACS plus other stuff

8th physical science Concepts in Action (which is half chem and half physics)

9th conceptual physics

10th conceptual chemistry

So, it is going to run chemistry, chemistry/physics, physics, chemistry. It makes me laugh to think about it.

Ok, so 'other stuff' for next year..I have a couple TOPS units and I also own The Elements. I am buying Carbon Chemistry. I will also end this year with a fun foray into blowing stuff up. I have similar plans for the end of next year, but with a physics base. A girl's gotta have some fun, right?

I have been given conflicting information about the ACS chemistry. A couple people said it didn't last the year. But, it seems that they didn't use all the components. One person who did use all of it said it did last the whole year and was great. If ACS does last the year, I will be using carbon chemistry either in the chemistry half of 8th grade or in 10th. I've heard very good things about it so I might even pull it back out if we do it this year.

Thanks Redsquirrel for sharing your plans. We have done a bit of ACS earlier this year before we did The Elements, and I do think they are both good. I plan on doing the Carbon Chemistry as well. As for the physics and conceptual chemistry .. um .. I am seriously beginning to doubt my ability to actually be able to TEACH this curriculum. ;-P I don't seem to have the time to figure it out and work several lessons ahead, and frankly my brain is meh these days for retaining information. (3 year house building project .. 3 kids) It's ironic that I was valedictorian in HS and took physics, etc... but the level they offered did not prepare me for college level at all and frankly it was shoved into and out of my head rather quickly. ;-) So... I may need to get these books and cross my fingers and HOPE than my non scientific brain can handle this load if/when the time comes.