Menu

Do I need a modeling set for molecules?

We're entering JH and will look at some molecules using Friendly Chemistry.

Then we're planning for a harder chemistry in highschool.

I would say I have both visual and kinesthetic learners.

Do we even need a set for modeling?

If we get a set now, is there a particular set that would be easy to add on to for organic molecules?

What type of set would get us all the way through AP chemistry?

Any other advice?

Commercial models are typically quite expensive. For middle grades, we found using gumdrop candies and toothpicks to be a good substitute; just have enough different colors so, say, your carbon is distinct from your hydrogen. Bigger gumdrops worked better than the mini-marshmallow sized ones (do I have sweets on the brain, or what?), especially for double bonds.

The commercial kits are pretty swank, though. They're drilled such that the holes make for proper bond angles, they have different kinds (rigid vs. flexible) of bonds, etc. But you can't eat them. :)

I purchased ours from Home Science Tools - it wasn't very expensive as far as science supplies go. It was used quite a few times in middle school physical science. It was much easier to make models with the springs than it would have been with toothpicks because, well, toothpicks don't bend!

We purchased the small Molecular Model Set.

I purchased ours from Home Science Tools - it wasn't very expensive as far as science supplies go. It was used quite a few times in middle school physical science. It was much easier to make models with the springs than it would have been with toothpicks because, well, toothpicks don't bend!

We purchased the small Molecular Model Set.

I agree, the model set was much better than making models using gum drops or marshmallows because the set mimics the correct bond angles, and the molecules stay together pretty well when you're handling them.

We also started out with the small molecular model set when mine were in middle school. Last year, when we were studying chemistry in high school, my son practically begged me to get the larger set, so now we have both. He used that set a lot while we were studying chemistry.

HTH,

Brenda

Now if you can only get your kids to not use them as toys and lose parts. That's what tends to happen with manipulatives around here.

Same here - I thought they were a wonderful idea, but they were probably more of a distraction for my ds than a help. He loves them, I'm just not sure how much he actually learned from them...