Menu

Spelling Question!

What spelling program would you recommend for an advanced 7 yo whose reading skills are great? Another catch is that he wants to take it and go-not wait for me to teach him the lesson :001_smile: I realize I probably will have to give the spelling tests but he loves to work independently. I am using Sequential Spelling with the DVD and workbook for his 10yo brother-would this be boring to him or does it get challenging later on? We are on the first book right now. Thanks in advance for your input :001_smile:

Spelling City is a good idea if he doesn't need a lot of phonics instruction.

My oldest is doing R&S Spelling one grade level up, and that's a nice independent thing that's easy to get done. We had tried level 2 in 1st grade and found it too easy and the words didn't have much rhyme or reason, but in 3rd grade, they start working with phonics a lot. I do let my son test out of a week that I think he'll know how to spell all the words already. He's not a natural speller, so he's only tested out of one week so far. The difficulty does ramp up, and the work with the words is excellent. The meat is in the work, not the word lists.

Of course, R&S is unabashedly Christian, so if that would be an issue, ignore this suggestion. :D

It sounds like IEW Phonetic Zoo might be a good fit. If you get the CDs he can do it all on his own! There is a placement test on IEW's website, but I would think he would start in level A. If you want a workbook type of program R&S may be another option.

I have mine in Spelling Workout, just three grade levels ahead. I don't like it as well, though. He can do it on his own, other than tests, but some of the vocabulary exercises are more challenging. So, he does a pretest and gets about 18/20 right. Then I feel like we're doing busy work for the next couple of days. But I don't want to go to a higher level because it just feels like it would be pointless.

I am planning to switch to Spelling Power because I like that he can keep moving. I would like to do Phonetic Zoo C because it sounds perfect, but it's too expensive for me. That would be my recommendation, though.

Spelling by Sound and Structure, R&S's spelling series. Second and third grade are very simple; fourth takes a big jump. Don't be put off by the seemingly simple spelling lists, because the activities (fourth and up) are very challenging.