Menu

Selling Used Books--Online or at Used Book Sale?

We have seven kids and are down to homeschooling the youngest two, who are finishing 6th and 10th grades. I desperately need to downsize my book collection. We will keep the classics, the rare loved books, the things we will use/read again...but I have hundreds, maybe thousands. No way do I need all these.

In the past I have sold books online, but I've been considering selling some at a homeschooling used book sale. It's 4 hours on a Saturday. It would mean hauling lots of crates/boxes--traveling about 40 minutes each way--and hauling back home everything that doesn't sell. However, the $$ I make may make it worth the effort.

What would you do? List and sell online? Or do the used book fair? (Books that I really don't think will sell I am donating).

I would try the book sale. Maybe some of your children can help price. Price them at prices that you would buy them at a used book sale. That way if there are more than one copy of the book you are selling the buyer will buy the more reasonable priced book. It is a pain to price all the books and then lug them to the sell but every book you sell there will be one less book you will need to ship from an online sale.

After the used book sale you can try selling what is left online. I have found that items that are curriculum items like Sonlight, Bob Jones, Switched on School House, etc. sell really well online. Novels, chapter books and pictures books sell better online in sets. June and July will bring better prices online because more people are looking during those months.

This is just how I am tackling my huge mound of books right now. We are downsizing and I have tons that must go. I am pricing for a used book sale this week in fact. Hope this helps. :)

Does the book sale bring in a lot of people? Are you going to the book sale anyway? If yes, I'd do it. Gas is so expensive, I think I'd want to make sure it was worthwhile. Maybe you can carpool with someone? Then I'd definitely do it.

Does the book sale bring in a lot of people? Are you going to the book sale anyway? If yes, I'd do it. Gas is so expensive, I think I'd want to make sure it was worthwhile. Maybe you can carpool with someone? Then I'd definitely do it.

Yes, the book sale typically brings in a lot of people. I wasn't going to go anyway, but I would if I had several boxes of books to sell. And I do. I need to bring a kid with me to man the store so I can look at the other things...or not!

Thanks for the replies!