Menu

Making subjects relevant?

I really like our new science/math tutor BUT we're starting to have the first slight difference of opinion and I'd like to get your input.

He tutors ds in Algebra I (to be finished in two weeks and then they will move directly into Geometry), and Chemistry. In Algebra he has been excellent at going over the material, choosing what problems are best completed, and going over the work with ds. Ds has progressed from struggling a bit when we first hired the tutor to now having a very solid background in Algebra.

He also tutors ds in Apologia Chemistry. Ds says that he finds this slightly boring. Ds is way behind in this subject. He is only half way done with the book because the previous tutor dropped the ball big time and because this tutor has not been moving as fast as I was moving through the material with ds. Ds says that he enjoys their discussions of the material. The tutor has asked him to do some side problems/experiments which took the material a bit farther than the Apologia text did and I'm very happy with that. He has also been very exacting in his requirements of a lab report and has required ds to submit it a couple of times until it was done correctly. Again - I'm very happy. But the last two weeks, in an effort to make science "relevant", he has asked ds to work on an application for an internship at a scientific job and now his resume. Ds thinks this is great fun and it is good experience for him. BUT - did you catch where I said that they are only half way through the book? And it is May? I asked a couple of pointed questions today about their progress and the tutor did promise to step up their progress through the book starting next week.

Can I have your thoughts on all this? I am weak in math and science. Ds14 is a self acclaimed math and science geek.

I think, as the parent/teacher in this situation, it is your job to spell out what you require of the tutor. You need to determine what is a reasonable date for your son to complete this course (taking into account the fact that he is behind due to the previous tutor's failure). I would give the date of desired completion to the tutor and ask him or her to map out a schedule that will show how your student will accomplish this task. If there's time for the "extra" stuff that the tutor was doing with your son, that's great...but the "meat of the material" needs to come first.

I think, as the parent/teacher in this situation, it is your job to spell out what you require of the tutor. You need to determine what is a reasonable date for your son to complete this course (taking into account the fact that he is behind due to the previous tutor's failure). I would give the date of desired completion to the tutor and ask him or her to map out a schedule that will show how your student will accomplish this task. If there's time for the "extra" stuff that the tutor was doing with your son, that's great...but the "meat of the material" needs to come first.

Yea. I think my first task is to sit down with the book myself and do an inventory. I've gotten a bit out of the loop and that isn't good.

Honestly, it sounds like the tutor is doing a great job! If I remember correctly, he hasn't been working very long with your son, and if the other tutor had dropped the ball, I'd give him the time he needs to get your son engaged in the subject and caught up. Apologia Chemistry is challenging - let the tutor set the schedule he needs. JMO :)

Honestly' date=' it sounds like the tutor is doing a great job! If I remember correctly, he hasn't been working very long with your son, and if the other tutor had dropped the ball, I'd give him the time he needs to get your son engaged in the subject and caught up. Apologia Chemistry is challenging - let the tutor set the schedule he needs. JMO :)[/quote']

:iagree: (except I know nothing about Apologia Chemistry)

Honestly' date=' it sounds like the tutor is doing a great job! If I remember correctly, he hasn't been working very long with your son, and if the other tutor had dropped the ball, I'd give him the time he needs to get your son engaged in the subject and caught up. Apologia Chemistry is challenging - let the tutor set the schedule he needs. JMO :)[/quote']

You're right. It hasn't been too long - just a couple of months. I'll still look over the stuff because I feel the need to know exactly where my son is in the material and where he needs to go, but I do think this tutor is doing a great job overall.