Menu

New member introduction

Guest racie0417

Guest racie0417

Would this be the right place to introduce myself? If not, could an admin move this thread?

I am a military wife and SAHM to 2 special little boys. Both of my boys have special needs and I know my older son is 2e. I never considered homeschooling until a couple months ago, and now find myself considering it due to lack of good options.

My older son is 4 years old and is due to start kindergarten in the fall. In addition, our family is moving 3000 miles a month before he is due to start school. He has an autism spectrum diagnosis and has an IEP with social, communication, and fine motor goals. The place we are moving to is known to have not a great school system. We actually lived there 2 years ago, and they did my son's initial eligibility testing and IEP and it was quite a battle to get them to follow the law. They have already said they will re-test my son and are clearly trying to yank his services.

In March, I had private neuropsychological testing done to get a better handle on his educational needs, and the testing showed he is highly gifted and his academic skills are already at the 1st grade level. The psychologist who did the testing recommended he attend a self-contained gifted program. Such a program exists where we currently live, but does not exist where we are moving.

I am considering sending him to a private half-day kindergarten program and supplementing with work at home in the afternoon. The private school seems to mostly focus on reading, so I was thinking of supplementing with science. I am not really sure where to start or how to research what would fit best for our family.

Thanks for reading this far and giving any advice.

:seeya: Hi, and welcome!

There are lots of very experienced, well informed folk on the Special Needs Board who will likely be able to answer a lot of your questions.

Best wishes

Cassy

I am considering sending him to a private half-day kindergarten program and supplementing with work at home in the afternoon. The private school seems to mostly focus on reading, so I was thinking of supplementing with science. I am not really sure where to start or how to research what would fit best for our family.

Thanks for reading this far and giving any advice.

Welcome to the boards! I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. If you're asking how to research homeschooling, you could start with The Well-Trained Mind book which has lots and lots of information.

Maybe some other people can recommend other how-to type homeschooling books.

There is also a board for afterschoolers if you're trying to get ideas on how to do that.