Menu

developing fine motor skills??

My 5 yo has similar issues, an OT suggested play doh, modeling clay, rolling/cutting/frosting cookies, cutting and pasting, beading, hole punching (the new ones are way easier for little hands), puzzles, and anything that involves manipulating really small pieces.

Eating with chopsticks-with chop clips, at first, if needed (and it probably will be) is another good one. As is just trying to pick up small items with chopsticks. One trick a mom of a child in my homeschool group taught me (who's son's OT suggested it) was to give her child popcorn or M&Ms or other small snacks/treats to eat with chopsticks :).

If you get the Handwriting Without Tears PK or K teacher's guide, there are a lot of suggestions in there. My DD didn't need information on how to form letters when we began HWOT, but she absolutely needed the fine motor practice. She's improved a lot in the last 2 years :).

Any ideas on strengthening little hands or developing fine motor skills for an almost-six-year-old boy? Something fun?? His brain's way ahead of his hands and he's a super-perfectionist.

Lots and lots of legos. My perfectionist ds likes to follow the instructions, because then they turn out "perfectly."

For strengthening anything that helps the upper body and core is good. Tug of war, wheelbarrow walking, wall pushups, carrying in heavy groceries, writing on vertical surface - like a chalkboard on the wall. Also, getting kind of a stiff sprayer nozzle that required squeezing and having the child be in charge of watering the garden if you have one.

Play games with push clip or finger wars with your thumb and forefinger, then move to your next finger and thumb (basically, both of you make an "O" shape and try to pull apart the other persons "O").

Practice, practice, and patience . . . I think it just takes time. Lots of good ideas here though.

Lots of things like these:

http://www.eaieducation.com/search.aspx?Keyword=shapes

We have a set of flat shape magnets, and also plain shapes (attribute blocks) that the kids can use to create designs. Tangrams would work as well. Legos are a winner here, as are regular wooden blocks. Thomas the Tank Engine wooden trains and track use hands in several different ways. Dry erase markers, or those doodle boards that use a magnet pen to draw, small stamps and a stamp pad...

Edited by MomatHWTK

Passing small items back and forth through a ring (use two sizes like a roll of sticky/masking tape) without knocking the ring over, pegging items onto a line, cutting with scissors, lego, coloring in, threading beads (even boys will enjoy this if you use boyish beads), egg and spoon races, finger play nursery rhymes and other action songs with finger play, making shadows on the wall with fingers, kneading bread dough, learning to play the piano, cleaning windows (use a spray bottle to practice spraying and then rolled up newspaper to wipe it off with as this also exercises the hand muscles), puzzles.

All of the above, and also time and patience. ;)

I've found that as I've continued to gradually increase the writing requirements, writing has gotten easier and easier for my son. We had a big jump in "ease of writing" just before he turned 7, and then a bigger jump just before turning 8 (he's about to turn 8). At just before turning 6, his hand still hurt. :tongue_smilie:

So there is hope, but it may be a little while. I just required age appropriate output, used WWE as our writing (listen to SWB's writing lectures - they're very helpful!), and made sure he steadily practiced writing every single day - spreading it out so it wasn't a lot at one time.