Menu

New to teaching 9th grade...biology questions.

My oldest will be starting 9th in July and I'm trying to finalize our purchases. I am planning on her using the Miller\Levine Biology text along with the Illustrated Guide to Home Biology and The Home Scientist Biology kit.

I was looking through the kit supplies and noticed that there were no dissection supplies. When I checked out the Miller Levine correlation page I saw that Chapter 9 (Chordates) was tied to "Lab Session XI-4: Investigating Vertebrate Tissues" from the lab guide. What exactly are these labs? I'm guessing they aren't dissections since there are no supplies to do so in the kit.

I'm wondering if I need to purchase a dissection kit separately?

Thanks for any insight\information.

"Investigating Vertebrate Tissues" just involves viewing prepared slides. In case you don't have the actual slides, there are large color photos of example slides in the book (and high-res versions are included on the DVD that comes with the lab kit). There aren't any dissections in the IGTHBE book, but if you want to add some, Carolina Biological sells inexpensive kits, and there are lots of virtual dissections of different critters available online (many of them free).

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Thank you Jackie.

I'm wondering if the surgeries she sits in on when she works at the vet office would be sufficient for dissections? Last week she watched them remove an enlarged spleen.:ack2:

Eeeeeewwwww!!! If our YouTube labs were sufficient...I would certainly think spleen removal was more than adequate....blech! And yuck!! AND WAY COOL!!!!!:D

We used Froguts this year to supplement our Miller/Levine labs. I was very impressed. Ds did the frog, squid and fetal pig dissections. He learned a lot from them. They not only go through the standard structures, but pull things and show them under a microscope, show how the structure functions in a living animal and more. They were far more instructional than any dissection I've seen shy of anatomy and physiology in college.

We used Froguts this year to supplement our Miller/Levine labs. I was very impressed. Ds did the frog, squid and fetal pig dissections. He learned a lot from them. They not only go through the standard structures, but pull things and show them under a microscope, show how the structure functions in a living animal and more. They were far more instructional than any dissection I've seen shy of anatomy and physiology in college.

I'll check this out. Thanks!

We used Froguts this year to supplement our Miller/Levine labs. I was very impressed. Ds did the frog, squid and fetal pig dissections.

Does the year subscription allow you to do as many as you want? It's hard to tell from their web site.

Thanks!

It is unlimited use for the year. I don't know what it will do when the subscription runs out. It is installed on my computer and doesn't require internet access to work. I don't know if it will continue to work and just not update or if I'll have to pay for another year for my next child. It was well worth it either way. The price was similar to buying all the specimens we would have used this year and it was just SO much more educational.

Both of my kids have done hands on dissections, just so they've had the experience with dissection tools. Ds hates them, dd loves them, but they both liked froguts better.