Menu

Convention Question

At our convention there are featured speakers. There are also a number of workshops with catchy names given by authors of programs, or their representatives.

Are those workshops likely to have generally beneficial information, or are they primarily sales pitches for the program? :confused:

What do you think?

Are those workshops likely to have generally beneficial information, or are they primarily sales pitches for the program? :confused:

What do you think?

Both. They are a sales pitch, but if that particular program is what you are looking for, then it is helpful to have the creators explain it and answer your questions.

Both. They are a sales pitch, but if that particular program is what you are looking for, then it is helpful to have the creators explain it and answer your questions.

For the workshops I'm looking at, I'd love to hear general thoughts on literature, notebooking, whatever. I don't want to buy a new program. I'm easily swayed into thinking I need a new curriculum and then I get home and it sits on my shelf. :001_huh:

I'm trying to figure out if I should go to our local conference. I want to be inspired. I don't want to be guilted into buying all new stuff. :lol:

Last year I downloaded mp3's from Andrew Pudewa and SWB, bought some easy to prepare lunches, gave the kids some videos, and had my own private homeschool conference. :tongue_smilie:

It just varies with the speaker. Posts the names and people can tell you if they've heard them before. Some people like Sonya Shafer do have a booth and things to sell but actually communicate a LOT of good info in their sessions. Some people are just there to explain how the product works, put a face to it, and sell, which has its place too, if that happens to be what you need. :)

It just varies with the speaker. Posts the names and people can tell you if they've heard them before. Some people like Sonya Shafer do have a booth and things to sell but actually communicate a LOT of good info in their sessions. Some people are just there to explain how the product works, put a face to it, and sell, which has its place too, if that happens to be what you need. :)

:iagree: There are some who sell their product, but have useful information that you can glean from their workshop. (Although, really, I don't know if there has been any speaker at the conference I've been to--Midwest in Cinci--who was not a published author or had a curriculum of some sort under their belt already. Generally the people who have something to say have said it in a book already--that's usually how they become known as someone who has something to share.)