Menu

English Credits question

I'm lumping all of my dc's language arts-related work into an English credit (possibly Honors English for this year's course). That includes grammar, vocabulary, writing and literature. I *may* give him 1.5 credits this year since he's had so much writing and lit, but we'll see when the final transcript gets put together.

HTH,

Lisa

My dc always do what I consider 'honors' English classes, however, they only receive one credit. The credit covers:

Literature

Writing

Vocabulary

Grammar

I give one credit for literature, composition, and vocabulary. We do not have a formal grammar program (we stopped in 8th grade), but deal with that as part of writing instruction. If I did have a separate grammar program, I would fold it into the one English credit for the year.

I have designated our English classes as "honors" based on the volume and rigor of the reading, and the number of papers that are assigned. But I don't add any more credits. I see the rigor as a GPA issue. For us a standard class A=4.0, honors A=5.0, and AP or CC class A=6.0. That is the way the public school system in our area weights grades, so that's why we chose that weighting method. I know that other school systems across the country have different weighting systems.

Take care! ~Brigid

with grammar thrown in as needed.

Janet in WA said her dss did their grammar/comp in two years, and then literature in two, which worked out to be the same amount of instruction and whatnot as if she had divied it all up into 4 years, IYKWIM.

But in most cases, that's one credit per year of English, each year to include composition and literature, with grammar as needed, maybe vocabulary thrown in for good measure.

I was thinking that Omnibus might count for 1/2 credit history and 1/2 credit English Lit. Classical Writing Diogenes and later levels are what I'm not so sure about. The amount of work for CW seems to merit a full credit, but maybe I should just count it as an honors class.

Is anyone using both of these programs? How do you assign the credits for them?